UV resistant epoxy resin?

Andrewkar

BuSo Pro
Degree
Hi,
In my free time (time off the computer...) I'm working on a MTB bicycle frame. You know just to relax and take my thought out of this internets...

If you have ANY experience or info on protecting Kevlar from UV let me know :smile:

My goal is to use kevlar coat as a last layer of my frame but, unfortunately kevlar hates UV rays. So, maybe you know something about using UV resistant epoxy resin on boats etc. ?
Maybe you are building boats or surfing boards etc...?

Let me know :wink:
Cheers

Way to keep this signal:noise ratio high, @emp. If we all resorted to google only, there's be no point of a discussion forum. I'd rather talk to real humans than read some text-broker MFA content.

@Andrewkar, I'm learning here. What happens to kevlar when UV rays beat on it? Becomes brittle or something?

Well.. I only did this because even the first results look like exactly what you need

Way to keep this signal:noise ratio high, @emp. If we all resorted to google only, there's be no point of a discussion forum. I'd rather talk to real humans than read some text-broker MFA content.

@Andrewkar, I'm learning here. What happens to kevlar when UV rays beat on it? Becomes brittle or something?
Literally it gets brittle to the point that even wind could destroy it... fast (if unprotected). But I'm talking about raw material here.

On the other hand if it's a part a laminat (epoxy resin plus material) it will keep its strength longer, year or three maybe (depending on usage circumstances). That being said, kevlar/aramid fiber is great material but if used for outside layers it causes additional challenges.

Man I wanna slap people when they pull out that let me google that for you shit, you think I don't know about Google?! Sheeeeittt

On topic: Sounds like a cool project. I need a hobby. I didn't know anything about resins before opening this thread. I love lamp.

Well.. I only did this because even the first results look like exactly what you need
I know your intentions are good
Unfortunately, this simple search is not enough for my needs. I have even tried more advanced ones...
So, at the point I'm at stage of asking and reaching to right people...
:wink:

Wow.. Guys.. Calm down.. Put away those pitch forks for a moment.
I can't count the times a simple Google query helps. Others and me, including people with a technical, IT, and even SEO background.
Often simply because someone used a different wording in the query. Often because people didn't even search and go ask in a random forum.

Now here, if Andrew would have told me he had searched up and down Google, my answer would have been another one.

That said, sorry for the lame joke, but jeez easy to get your jimmies rustled, is it?

@Andrewkar I never heard of Kevlar being used that way... Would you care to share some pictures of the bike?

::emp::

Sure I will post more info soon. Kevlar isn't used that way because it's unnecessary and problematic. But I want to use it for extra protection in case of catastrophic frame failure (I might be a bit paranoid...) and... unusual look :wink:

Back