Upwork Bans Review Writing?

Degree
I posted a job asking for affiliate site buying guides and review article creation and the job was removed by Upwork. After some back and forth with Support they told me that:

Kindly be advised that we no longer allow 'ANY' kind of paid review job, regardless of the site, we shouldn't allow it. Even if its one that could potentially be legit.

This was after I explained I was not trying to buy reviews for my Amazon listing (what I initially thought they thought) and after I asked whether The NY Post attempting to hire movie critics via Upwork, or IGN looking for video game reviewers, would also break the rules...

So apparently if you are paying someone to write reviews then your job could be cancelled. Their policy really seems that broad.

TBH in my job posting I also included a line about using Amazon product reviews as a potential research resource for writing the reviews I wanted, so I think I included a few keywords that triggered all this.

However their wording above is pretty clear - they never budged.

@Darth, I've not had any problems. I think the best way to approach it is to put out a general call like "Looking for people who love XXXX and writing!" and then field and filter them out from there. Upwork is likely only looking for keywords in the job titles.

I've been exclusively paying people for review articles for the past 6 months or so on there, zero issues. But I went about it the way I mentioned above.

I've been paying people for reviews for a long time with no problem. However, I recently made a new job post where I wanted to purchase products for the writer to review. This was removed.

So... writing fake reviews without ever buying the product is okay, but writing genuine reviews Wirecutter style is not allowed?

I'm already pursuing Upwork alternatives.

WordAgents doesn't have any silly restrictions like this. :smile:

Back