Traffic leaking question

Degree
I'm practicing traffic leaks and starting to get the hang of it. I'm still not anywhere near as good as a lot of the folks in here though. Here's the situation:

I was practicing on reddit. Found an article on a news site, crafted a few headlines, chose the one I thought was the most provocative, and posted it on r/news. I was tired so I went to bed. Come morning, I logged into reddit and saw the post had 2000++ upvotes. So I think it made the front page of r/news maybe. I don't know. Point is, I now have a headline + content combo that works.

But how do I take advantage if this and make money off it? I don't think r/news accepts stuff from any old blog. It has to be a news establishment. Any ideas? @built @Ryuzaki thoughts?

I'm neither of the two you asked for, but I'm taking a break for lunch and I've been enticed by the big numbers game as well...

As fun as it is to write something "political" and get a lot of page views on different social networks... the reality is, that traffic is extremely low quality... I would think your best bet is probably CPM ads / AdSense / and maybe something amazon related if you can get a good click. I've seen lots of people "cite" an Amazon book...

This morning I realized that most of the reviews/product listings I've been grinding out for a week weren't indexed in Google yet. Because I'm trying to get a feel for what will rank for what types of keywords, I really want to speed up this process so I wrote a few articles (semi-political) and started leaking to them this morning and afternoon. Literally, just trying to create some quick content that will get shared and get Google to freaking spider me. The posts have gotten over 1k page views as of now. I included an Amazon link, but didn't bother with adding a click tracker. It's still early in the 24-hour time-span, but not a single one of those people has converted. In contrast, if you pick a subreddit or group or topic where people actually buy things from... well, I would have already made 20+ amazon sales with those numbers.

Its cool to say you got 1K, 5K, 10K, 50K page views in a day, but unless that's the model you're going for (high volume), you're better off traffic leaking from a small forum or small FB group that actually wants to buy blue widgets.

A review post with 50 upvotes on a "diet" subreddit might bring in more $ than a front page /r/news. Food for thought.

I'm neither of the two you asked for, but I'm taking a break for lunch and I've been enticed by the big numbers game as well...

As fun as it is to write something "political" and get a lot of page views on different social networks... the reality is, that traffic is extremely low quality... I would think your best bet is probably CPM ads / AdSense / and maybe something amazon related if you can get a good click. I've seen lots of people "cite" an Amazon book...

This morning I realized that most of the reviews/product listings I've been grinding out for a week weren't indexed in Google yet. Because I'm trying to get a feel for what will rank for what types of keywords, I really want to speed up this process so I wrote a few articles (semi-political) and started leaking to them this morning and afternoon. Literally, just trying to create some quick content that will get shared and get Google to freaking spider me. The posts have gotten over 1k page views as of now. I included an Amazon link, but didn't bother with adding a click tracker. It's still early in the 24-hour time-span, but not a single one of those people has converted. In contrast, if you pick a subreddit or group or topic where people actually buy things from... well, I would have already made 20+ amazon sales with those numbers.

Its cool to say you got 1K, 5K, 10K, 50K page views in a day, but unless that's the model you're going for (high volume), you're better off traffic leaking from a small forum or small FB group that actually wants to buy blue widgets.

A review post with 50 upvotes on a "diet" subreddit might bring in more $ than a front page /r/news. Food for thought.

Hey, @Nat Thanks for your reply. Yeah for the business i'm working on in my journey thread I'm mostly using fb ads, instagram, and adwords to generate leads and sales.

The recent leak on there was to a fb group for runners promoting the superfood and how runners can benefit from it. Got a couple of sales from there.

This one on r/news is for practice. I want to sharpen the saw so to speak. Maybe repurpose the content to video format, upload on youtube and leak that. Haha I don't know.

But thanks again and yeah paid ads is where most of my focus goes these days. Traffic leaking can get me cheaper clicks on paid ads because I learn to write better headlines

@Krass there are also plenty of other really large subreddits that accept "news" articles from 'any site.' If you have a news article, you'll just have to find an angle to make it appropriate. There are running/walking/fitness/motivation subreddits that would all be open to reading an article about superfood. You can almost re-purpose your content for any niche. It might not be ideal, but it's possible. For instance, add 2 facts about the reduced effects on the environment and /r/environment might take the bait. Could be fun practice/experiments.

Been super awesome and motivating to see you really taking action, chances, risks, and reaping some traffic rewards :smile:

@Krass there are also plenty of other really large subreddits that accept "news" articles from 'any site.' If you have a news article, you'll just have to find an angle to make it appropriate. There are running/walking/fitness/motivation subreddits that would all be open to reading an article about superfood. You can almost re-purpose your content for any niche. It might not be ideal, but it's possible. For instance, add 2 facts about the reduced effects on the environment and /r/environment might take the bait. Could be fun practice/experiments.

Been super awesome and motivating to see you really taking action, chances, risks, and reaping some traffic rewards :smile:
Great suggestions! I haven't on reddit for quite some time now. My sites aren't in english, that's why i use local fb groups for leaking.

I'll be sure to explore other subs that accept non news sites. Watching your journal too.

Leaks that generate 50 sales! You should really consider keeping some inventory and pocketing more of the margins instead of giving the lion's share to amazon. Just my humble opinion.

It's almost 5am in my side of the planet. Off to get some sleep. Have a great day!

Reactions: Nat
Back