Thoughts on auto refreshed ads

Degree
I have an informational website that has a rather average avg time on page. Has anyone experimented with auto refreshed ads? I'm using Adsense at the moment.

Auto-refreshing ads Publishers are not permitted to refresh a page or an element of a page without the user requesting a refresh. This includes placing ads on pages or in placements that auto-redirect or auto-refresh. Additionally, publishers may not display the ads for a preset time (i.e., pre-roll) before users can view content such as videos, games, or downloads.

Source: Adwords: Ad placement policies

--

All it seems it would take is one person reporting you and your adsense account is dead.

If you ever watch illegal sports streams, the video player always 'dies' and you have to reload the page, presumably because the reload give the host more money in ad impressions. Maybe you could incorporate something like that on your pages if you're comfortable with being annoying

I auto-refresh two specific ads on my sites, but it's not with Adsense so it falls within these networks' guidelines. Those two ads get a much better RPM because they produce more impressions per session and higher visibility. These are anchor ads at the bottom of the screen and a scrolling sidebar ad on desktop that scrolls down with you.

It's good and not harmful to user experience. Just make sure it's okay with the network. As CCarter points out, it's not okay with Adsense.

Thanks for the responses guys! I'll stay away from it for now. @Ryuzaki, do you mind me asking the ad network that allows you to do this?

Thanks

Websites which do auto-refresh for whole website are soooo evil. You're reading an article, you're in the middle of it and the website just auto-refreshes. I used to be a reader for couple of websites, but when they introduced that auto-refresh thing, I just abandoned them.

I believe a lot of the bigger networks such as AdThrive automatically do this roughly every 30 seconds with their ad placements. My guess is that it does in fact help improve CTR and get the most out of every visitor.

Back