The Wisdom Thread

Degree
"Hope is the dream of a waking man."
Aristotle

“Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.”
Maya Angelou

"The Way of the Samurai is found in death. When it comes to either/or, there is only the quick choice of death. It is not particularly difficult. Be determined and advance. To say that dying without reaching one's aim is to die a dog's death is the frivolous way of sophisticates. When pressed with the choice of life or death, it is not necessary to gain one's aim.
We all want to live. And in large part we make our logic according to what we like. But not having attained our aim and continuing to live is cowardice. This is a thin dangerous line. To die without gaining one's aim is a dog's death and fanaticism. But there is no shame in this. This is the substance of the Way of the Samurai. If by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he pains freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will succeed in his calling."
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

“The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.”
Albert Einstein

"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done."
Bruce Lee

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience."
Julius Caesar

Last edited by a moderator:
"God gave be my ability, what can humans do to me." - Li Zongwu (Thick Black Theory)

"God gave me Thick Black Theory, what can humans do to me." - Li Zongwu (Thick Black Theory)

And every time when I hear somebody criticizing me, I will be glad and say, "My idea is on the road." - Li Zongwu (Thick Black Theory)
--

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is victory over lesser men."

"The way of the Niten Ichi school is the spirit of winning, whatever the weapon and whatever its size."

"It may seem difficult at first, but all things are difficult at first."

"Maintain the spirit whenever you cross swords with the enemy."

"Step by step, walk the thousand mile road."

"You must train morning and evening for 1000s of hours, polishing ones skill by becoming free from self and then realize extraordinary ability."

"When you are about to battle for your life, you must make full use of your weaponry. It is false not to do this, and to die with a sword undrawn."

"From one thing, know ten thousand things"

"In battle, if you make your opponent flinch, you have already won."

"Do nothing that is of no use"

"Get beyond love and grief: exist for the good of Man."

"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain"

"Do not regret what you have done"

- Miyamoto Musashi (Book of Five Rings)
--
"All creative activity begins with movement." - Joseph Zinker
--
"Be fluid - at ease in whatever situation you find yourself." - Carlos Castaneda
--
"Do what you will, for I fear no one." - Apocalypse, En Sabah Nur
--
"If you woke up broke then you have no business going to sleep" - Unknown
--
"Price is what you pay. Value is what you get." - Warren Buffet
--
The question isn't who is going to let me, it's who is going to stop me" - Ayn Rand

"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

The Arrow Cutting Way: Someone got shot by an arrow and went to see a doctor. The doctor cut off the parts of the arrow outside the body, then asked for the money.

Why didn't he take it out? He said, "It's a surgeon's job, go find one."

The Pan Fixing Way: The cooking pan is broken. You had a pan fixer to fix it. While the pan fixer is scratching the black dirt off the bottom of the pan, he says to you, "Please make some fire for me." When you turn your back to him, he hit the pan a few times, then the crack on the pan gets bigger.

Then he tells you, "Look, the crack on this pan is so long. You couldn’t see it if I didn’t scratch the dirt off. Now I have to put more nails in it." Then you look and say, "Great! I'm so happy I found you, or the pan wouldn’t work without you!"

After it’s done the pan fixer and the pan owner are both happy in the end.

There are many affairs in history that go one of the two ways. - Li Zongwu

"Do something difficult. A sport, write a book, create some work of art - I think that we find ourselves in creating and in solving problems. That's what builds character (other than overcoming tragedy) and getting through difficult things seems to be one of the only ways outside of psychedelic drugs to gain perspective. Most importantly whatever it is that you really want to do with your life, DO THAT. Don't shoot for your back up plan, just concentrate all your efforts into whatever it is that you truly want to do. And if you don't know what you want to do, that's OK too. Just follow your true and honest instincts. I think most of us have a direction that we feel drawn to, but for whatever reason very few of use commit to the pull. Best of luck to you." - Joe Rogan from his AMA a few years ago. (Not everyone who "goes for it" will succeed because it's only successful people that are in a position to give that advice. We never hear from the majority of people that follow their dreams and DON'T make it.... BUT... it's still the only route, even if not everyone makes it.)

"Much silence and a good disposition, there are no two things better than these."

"It is better to sit alone than in company with the bad,
and it is better still to sit with the good than alone.
It is better to speak to a seeker of knowledge than to remain silent,
but silence is better than idle words."

Prophet Mohammed

"Listen to many, speak to a few."

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."

William Shakespeare

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

Saint Augustine

"A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks he becomes."

"Change yourself – you are in control."

"Patience means self-suffering."

Mahatma Gandhi

"A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting."

Carlos Castaneda

"If you are depressed, you are living in the past.
If you are anxious, you are living in the future.
If you are at peace, you are living in the present."

Lao Tzu

"I never see what has been done, I only see what remains to be done."

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."

Buddha

"Implementation beats oration." - Aesop

"Our handicaps exist only in our minds." - Franklin Roosevelt

"Cowards die many times before their death." - Shakespeare

"A chain is no stronger than its weakest link." - Sir Leslie Stephen

"Gold, when beaten, shines" - Proverb

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions." - Dalai Lama

"The season of failure is the best time for sowing the seeds of success." - Paramahansa Yogananda

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

Back