The Moment When You Say Enough Is Enough

Degree
Sup guys,

Builder007 here, and this is my first post here on BuilderSociety.com.

I've been working the past 10 years on and off marketing jobs and web design jobs. I've always been able to make a living doing graphic design for other people. It has been my bread and butter for the last 10 years.
I guess you can say i kept making excuses to build something truly for myself. The fear of failure needed to be eliminated from my life.

I've lurked around a few marketing and seo forums for years. I've used some of the services offered in seo forums for the companies I've worked for in the past.
I've tried to monetize my sites but have failed in the past due to me losing momentum and direction. Which is why I ended up here...

Maybe here I can finally be party of a community that shares my passion. Maybe here I can finally get the answers I've been looking for. Maybe I have been asking the wrong questions? I've always been a lurker on these forums but now I've decided enough is enough. I'm going to become an active member and stop making excuses for myself.

I will build a successful website one day that will become a stream of income for me.

When I don't know how to do something, I will ask for advice.

No more excuses for myself. Do more, talk less.

-Builder007

So how does a person go from a skipper to a doer? If someone can answer that it would help hundreds of people here. How do you overcome the fear of failure. That is the million dollar question. Sometimes we are too smart for our own good!

So how does a person go from a skipper to a doer? If someone can answer that it would help hundreds of people here. How do you overcome the fear of failure. That is the million dollar question. Sometimes we are too smart for our own good!

Imo, simply this:
yes, do more

Now I'll babble. Exercise and build your 'Take Action Muscle'. More is gained from experience than speculation even in ventures that lose money.

While I still have progress to make in this regard and I'm a bit impulsive anyway, consistently reminding myself of a couple very simple things has helped me take action when I find myself sitting on my ass with important projects. Awareness can sometimes spur some good shit.

I'm an analytical type as I assume many of us here are. Knowing that 'execution' was my shortcoming with some projects, I started to simply focus on a concept-to-execution mentality. Doing that, for me, was a great way to turn my 'action management' into a task in my workflow. Wrapping my mind around that 'thinking from the end, but living in the now' mentality helps to lure me into wanting to see that execution more.

Secondly, going back to the more concise answer eliquid gave, planning is just another form of procrastination, for me. I used to give planning way more credit than it deserves. Important no doubt, but paralysis of analysis is real for me and can be indirectly seductive when there is so much to analyze(our industry). Action pays though so I'll stick to letting my lady fulfill my cravings to be seduced, I work to make money.

Last edited:

Forget the concept of security. It doesn't exist. It does not exist even in the slightest. It's all an illusion. We are all racing towards death, no matter the circumstances of our situations. You finally become rich? Welcome to health issues. Finally feel healthy? People around you are dropping like flies. Finally ready to retire? Your investments tank.

No security means there's no reason to fear anything. Put it all on the line. Put your nuts on the chopping block. If you have a family to support you have to play it safer but the reality remains the same. It just depends on how invested into the delusion of safety they are at the moment whether or not they'll support you or bail.

Take it from an old guy. Whatever you plan on and expect, that's precisely the thing you won't get.

Definitely stop any planning completely. Sounds retarded but it's not. If you're a procrastinator / planner, you should spend 100% of your time doing stuff even if it ends up being completely worthless. It's a muscle that needs to be exercised, doubly so for those who don't produce much.

Taking smart action is the answer. Sadly that means spending less time on forums and less time learning. The proper way: learn, take massive action and execute, figure out what you did wrong, learn a little more, repeat.

Ask yourself, why do you think this is a million dollar question? That pre-supposes that there is a million dollar answer. But there isn't.

You overcome fear of failure the way you overcome any fear - you do it despite the fear, and you keep doing it.

I failed enough times that it was kind of like exposure therapy. Saw it enough times that I realized it wasn't actually scary or that impactful. I'm still alive, eating, have clothes, and a place to live. The basics are still in place :smile:

Sup guys,

Builder007 here, and this is my first post here on BuilderSociety.com.

I've been working the past 10 years on and off marketing jobs and web design jobs. I've always been able to make a living doing graphic design for other people. It has been my bread and butter for the last 10 years.
I guess you can say i kept making excuses to build something truly for myself. The fear of failure needed to be eliminated from my life.

I've lurked around a few marketing and seo forums for years. I've used some of the services offered in seo forums for the companies I've worked for in the past.
I've tried to monetize my sites but have failed in the past due to me losing momentum and direction. Which is why I ended up here...

Maybe here I can finally be party of a community that shares my passion. Maybe here I can finally get the answers I've been looking for. Maybe I have been asking the wrong questions? I've always been a lurker on these forums but now I've decided enough is enough. I'm going to become an active member and stop making excuses for myself.

I will build a successful website one day that will become a stream of income for me.

When I don't know how to do something, I will ask for advice.

No more excuses for myself. Do more, talk less.

-Builder007

Hmm are you me? Just stumbled on buildersociety too and look forward to learning with everyone!

I use BJ Fogg's Tiny Habits model anytime I am trying to change direction.
Then I attach an external "Beating" to make sure I do not weasel out of the new direction. (Via Tim Ferriss)

If you are into Fogg's stuff you might enjoy this little hidden behind the scenes gem.
http://tinyhabits.com/sandbox/

been following along CC9 traffic leaks and implementing some of the stuff I've learned here so far. Been seeing improvements but I need to do more.

I use BJ Fogg's Tiny Habits model anytime I am trying to change direction.
Then I attach an external "Beating" to make sure I do not weasel out of the new direction. (Via Tim Ferriss)

If you are into Fogg's stuff you might enjoy this little hidden behind the scenes gem.
http://tinyhabits.com/sandbox/

Awesome. I've been trying to be more productive and get better organized myself for 2015 (one of my goals)

I make decent money right now, but I know if I treat my online work like an actual job and put in more time I can increase my income substantially. Will definitely check this out. Thanks

We're not too smart, we're here right now and not doing. There's always a time to share, but that's after you're comfortable with where you are in the creation process.

If you aren't a doer/aff-newbie, hopefully the following will help you a bit.

Being a Doer
Think of your website, open up a text editor (…after reading this sentence past the forthcoming semi-colon), and outline/write a piece of content for your site; don't Google anything, just write a 200-word piece of shit (if you can write more without any research, great — do that).

So yes, minimize your broswer right now, then come back here.

You're an athlete.
Creating is a sport; when you were writing just now, you were in a match — albeit, a small one.
Your opponent isn't just competitors in your niche, but the people who share your content, search engines, companies that will pay you for adspace/email lists, and anyone else who helps you get your content noticed, engages with it, or buys from it.

So… you're still here, reading and preparing — Are you afraid of failure?

There is no fear when you're doing.
It's only when you're in here, reading/preparing/analyzing — The more you're doing, the less time you have for fear. It's never when you're creating that you fear, only before and after:
::thinking:: "What will I write?!"

::reading:: "Oh God, it's absolute shit!"​

Most the stuff you complete will be shit at first (this is always the case), but eventually you'll be able to write something right (heh).
Like, you'll eventually post a piece that gets crawled/ranked well… But it'll be shit for social.
Then you'll get the social aspect down… but it won't be something that spreads rapidly/viral. T
hen you'll write a piece that does all three of those things! But it won't convert as a micro/macro conversion.
And so on and so forth…

But, by the time you've reached analyzing its conversion rate and where pieces fall in the conversion funnel, you've already learned a shit-ton of things. And those things, more than likely, will have brought you more success than you honestly thought you could manage — When you throw shit at a wall, some of it sticks.

To become finely-tuned, you need to do more and more.
Analyze and plan for an opponent before a match, analyze and plan after a match — But before you can do that, you have to do something in order to analyze/plan.

Minimize this window and write another outline. If you're not making a decent salary off your website yet, go write something right now. You're better off killing a few pieces of outlines/content before you come back here.

Edit: Sorry if this came off strong; writing this while at work and it's a bit of projection/what-I-would-say-to-some-others-in-my-vicinity-right-now.

Back