The Big Movie Recommendation Thread

MetaData

BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
I'm no cinema buff but I want to start trying to watch a movie once a day. I have had myself convinced that I don't have time, but then I realized I'm spending hours listening to podcasts anyways so I can make time.

I just don't know where to start!

Can anyone relate to seeing trailors at the theater and thinking they almost all look worthwhile to watch, but then when it's time to sit down and watch something on Netflix not being able to find a damn thing?

Oh man, I have so many 5 star movies on Netflix.

Off the top of my head, check out the one called Ponty Pool. or Pontypool. One of those, can't remember how they spell it. It's ridiculously good.

I just watched that sci-fi called "The Signal". It was very cool. It had one of those twist endings that really don't make sense until you see the big picture of what the movie was really about, which wasn't a sci-fi concept, but one of growth and philosophical vision. It's hard to explain without spoiling anything. But definitely check it out if you're into scifi.

Don't watch the new Godzilla. Snorefest' 99.

I can't wait for Edge of Tomorrow to be released! I missed it in the theaters.

Trailer Park Boys. It's not a movie but it cracks me up. Been playing catch up wit it on Netflix.

The Kevin Hart stand-ups on there are a riot. They have the old Eddie Murphy's too. Raw and Delirious. Watch dem joints.

Trailer Park Boys. It's not a movie but it cracks me up. Been playing catch up wit it on Netflix.

The Kevin Hart stand-ups on there are a riot. They have the old Eddie Murphy's too. Raw and Delirious. Watch dem joints.

going back and watching old eddie murply stand-up is funny, so much ignorant shit you'd never get away with saying these days lol.

"Into the Wild" has always been a favorite of mine. Probably helps that Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam) composed the soundtrack. Def a movie worth seeing.

If you're into television shows, check out Death Note. I think the whole thing is on Netflix right now. It's a Japanese animated show for adults. It's a supernatural mystery detective show. English or Japanese w/ Subs. I'd go Japanese audio for the full effect. It's where I get my namesake.

Altered States is one of my favorite movies of all time. I really need to try one of those floating tanks.

Altered States is one of my favorite movies of all time. I really need to try one of those floating tanks.

That's a good movie. Lol @ the idea of actually reverting back to a caveman from meditating or being in an isolation tank. I love the oldies but goodies.

Well what kind of movies do you like? These are some of my personal favorites:
Slapstick Comedy: Fun With Dick and Jane
Comedy/Drama: The Shawshank Redemption, Analyze This
Drama: Good Will Hunting, 12 Angry Men, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Count Of Monte Cristo
Action/Comedy: RED, Training Day
Romance: Pride and Prejudice, Midnight in Paris

Random Movies I would watch again: The Butterfly Effect, Edge of Tomorrow, Fight Club, Non Stop, Savages, The Departed, The Wolf of Wall Street, X Men: Days of Future Past

I normally like "heavy" movies, regardless of the niche. Here are a handful of newish ones that I really, really like:

Locke w / Tom Hardy
The Dark Knight
The Drop
A Walk Among the Tombstones
Predestination
Into the Furnace
God's Pocket
Whiplash (gonna win movie of the year)
The Gambler
As above, So Below
Dracula Untold
Fury
John Wick
NightCrawler

Also, if you want a TV series, check out a British drama called "Peaky Blinders" starring Cillian Murphy. It takes place in post WW I England and a feel that's a mix of True Detective, Boardwalk Empire, and the Sopranos. Both seasons are on Netflix. Sooooooooo fucking good.

I really enjoyed Inception.

Unbreakable - an ordinary man goes on the train to work one day and wounds up in a train wreck, literal. He is the only survivor and doctors tell him that he has a super power: he is unable to be injured. The story is about how he tries to live a normal life afterwards.

The Thing - A group of scientists stationed in antartica gets a SOS signal from another research base. They discover it to be abandoned and find a specimen. They bring it back to their base and then terrible things happen...

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson and his attorney go to Las Vegas to cover a race, called the Mint 500. They head from LA to Las Vegas with a car fulled to the top with drugs. A very enthralling adventure ensues.

Grand Torino - A racist white man who is the last white male on his block in Detroit helps his Hmong neighbors out and mentors a young boy into manhood while <spoiler removed> him.

Kumare - an American Indian movie producer from Brooklyn attempts at making a Borat like movie where he *pretends* to be a guru to get people to worship him. His original aim was comedy. The story goes wrong because, shockingly, people actually worship him. He then is forced to console people on life decisions such as divorce, love, and spirituality. This one is really interesting and I highly recommend it. Its on Netflix.

Planet Earth, the whole series - Great series with great narratives and visuals.

Samsara - a film with no narrative. Its a collection of visuals and music. It really makes you think.

Have any of you heard of or watched Black Mirror?

If not, you're in for a real treat!

It's not a movie, but it's only 3, 1-hour shows each season. It's a UK/BBC show where each episode is almost completely unrelated. It plays out like an Alfred Hitchcock "Twilight Zone" episode for the 21st century, with a specific focus on technology and the future.

Incredible television...

Have any of you heard of or watched Black Mirror?

If not, you're in for a real treat!

This.

Started the first episode with no idea what to expect, about 5 minutes in I was like "Wtf..."... halfway through it was just hilarious, then by the time I finished the next episode "15 Million Merits" I was hooked.

Holy shit... "15 Million Merits" was one of my favorites! The "White Bear" from Season 2 is pretty awesome as well...as is the Christmas Special.

Back