The best sales deck

darkzerothree

DunkelNullDrei
Degree
This article peaked my interest

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-greatest-sales-deck-i-ve-ever-seen-1414678490

Here is a short summary (copy paste, shortened and paraphrased)

----------------------------------

#1. Name a Big, Relevant Change in the World
Don’t kick off a sales presentation by talking about your product, your headquarters locations, your investors, your clients, or anything about yourself.

Instead, name the undeniable shift in the world that creates both (a) big stakes and (b) huge urgency for your prospect.

Don't start with “the problem.” When you assert that your prospects have a problem, you put them on the defensive.
When you highlight a shift in the world, you get prospects to open up about how that shift affects them, how it scares them, and where they see opportunities. Most importantly, you grab their attention. As Hollywood screenwriting guru Robert McKee says:

…what attracts human attention is change. …if the temperature around you changes, if the phone rings — that gets your attention. The way in which a story begins is a starting event that creates a moment of change.

#2. Show There’ll Be Winners and Losers

All prospects suffer from what economists call “loss aversion.” That is, they tend to avoid a possible loss by sticking to the status quo, rather than risk a possible gain by opting for change.

To combat loss aversion, you must demonstrate how the change you cited above will create big winners and big losers. In other words, you have to show both of the following:
  1. That adapting to the change you cited will likely result in a highly positive future for the prospect; and
  2. That not doing so will likely result in an unacceptably negative future for the prospect
Instead, first present a “teaser” vision of the happily-ever-after that your product/service will help the prospect achieve—what I call the Promised Land.

Your Promised Land should be both desirable (obviously) and difficult for the prospect to achieve without outside help. Otherwise, why does your company exist?

#4. Introduce Features as “Magic Gifts” for Overcoming Obstacles to the Promised Land

If it’s not clear by now, successful sales decks follow the same narrative structure as epic films and fairy tales. Your prospect is Luke, and you’re Obi Wan, furnishing a lightsaber to help him defeat the Empire. Your prospect is Frodo, and you’re Gandalf, wielding wizardry to help him destroy the ring. Your prospect is Cinderella, and you’re the fairy godmother, casting spells to get her to the ball.

#5. Present Evidence that You Can Make the Story Come True

---------------

Currently thinking about how to use this on a "normal" sales article/landing page.

That seems like a really effective landing page script too.

I read something recently about how Steve Jobs would do pitches and presentations and it played out like this in story form too. Focusing more on experiences than benefits, and benefits more than features, seems to be the way into people's hearts these days. It's almost a creation of culture and belonging, a meta-benefit to being a user of a product or service.

Just a gut reaction, but probably works if you are selling (or want to seem like u are) snake oil?

Likely less effective if you're selling to any1 half-sharp or an entrpreneur ie. to some-one with their own money involved?

Probably good for the corporation mid-level dickheads whose sole purpose is to look good to the upper-management that doesnt give a shit about things at this level or to show they are in on da cool stuff and let's be next level.

Also any1 semi-relevant has heard/hears this pitch +10 times a week.

If it was a black/white yes/no, I'd prefer being direct, brutally honest and and passionate (and if the 3rd is not an option, refer to 1&2 and gtfo)

/end 4th beer rant after a 13-hour work day that involved successful selling.

EDIT: Just to be clear, not saying money cant be made with this.

EDIT2: FWIW I only read the bolded header parts and felt #seenthisamilliontimes maybe there's wisdom within the content, who reads that anyway, this is the internet afterall

Last edited:
Back