The arbitrage of music

GNews

White Hat Genius
BuSo Pro
Degree
Has anyone else heard about how arbitraging music is becoming a multi-million business if you have an artist working with a sizeable catalog

Explain what you mean, please. Are you talking about selling slots on playlists and things like that?

I know people are using Spotify like the old EMD days of Google, where they create a ton of artists and record renditions of the same songs with different titles and styles, trying to collect plays for fractions of fractions of pennies.

I've seen actual streaming royalties.

Yes, I'm talking playlists and Youtube/soundcloud to.

Based off earning a similiar wage to what was on the royalty sheet, 1 million streams should gross $3000. I saw services that say 1-million streams is $2200. This gross does not include the reflection of people who browse other music, once on the artist's catalog. If you happen to get on charts or more playlists, i think the money should be decent.

You know anything behind this?

That's not arbitrage.

the simultaneous buying and selling of securities, currency, or commodities in different markets or in derivative forms in order to take advantage of differing prices for the same asset.

Why not?

iRonic this video just came out about Tekashi69:

Start at 5:20
Guy knows people are flipping money off his YouTube video views

The only difference between arbitrage & profit is in the definition you provided: "simultaneous". With arbitrage, there is no time or risk between buying & selling. Arbitrage is risk-free instantaneous profit.

You're describing profit (buy low, sell high), not arbitrage.

Last edited:
Streaming royalties are paid out daily/weekly depending on your distributor and what day you do the magic

I do get what you're saying though but is anything THAT instantaneous? You can see the numbers but what's allowing you to take profits at the exact same moment? Something has to process ... a computer.. so it's not instantaneous

Yeah there are some Youtube channels I frequently listen to because they have like endless live streams of chill lofi or retro/vaporwave. These channels are massive and always poppin off. Guessing there's some viral-ness/priority placement when you're "live" too? Even though it could just be a repeating GIF-like image and 5 hour long playlist?

Yeah there are some Youtube channels I frequently listen to because they have like endless live streams of chill lofi or retro/vaporwave. These channels are massive and always poppin off. Guessing there's some viral-ness/priority placement when you're "live" too? Even though it could just be a repeating GIF-like image and 5 hour long playlist?

I think thsoe live streams depend on donations .... but if you build brand with one as a producer or DJ.. def going to pay off

Back