TeamViewer Hacked - Bank & Paypal Accounts Depleted

Tay

Degree
This one is a serious one. Reports that users' computers were hijacked with ransomware OR their bank acounts or PAYPAL were emptied. Since a majority of users save their bank login information in their browser the attackers were able to get into their accounts and apparently empty them according to claims on reddit. Here is the sub-reddit for TeamViewer. Screenshots:

V5iqS2I.png

--

Users of the TeamViewer remote management tool say their computers were hijacked and bank accounts emptied as the company's systems fell offline.

[..]

According to customers on the TeamViewer subreddit, however, the problem is much, much worse. Multiple users have reported that their remote desktops are being accessed by unknown parties who have fired up web browsers to clean out PayPal accounts, and drill into Amazon and webmail accounts.

Some users have reported viewing the activity in person, watching the unauthorized users access their machines and attempt to open applications.

"When I sit down on my chair, I saw my mouse is moving across the screen. Of course, I immediately revoked remote control, and asked who he is," writes one user.

"At that point, he disconnected, and attempted to connect to my Ubuntu server, which have all my backups."

Safe to say, anyone running the TeamViewer software would be well advised to disable the software, change their passwords, and keep a close eye on their PCs and servers for any suspicious activity.

Sauce: PCs hijacked, PayPal accounts raided as TeamViewer falls TITSUP
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/01/teamviewer_mass_breach_report/

Another Source (but website is lagging and filed with tons of ADs): http://www.inquisitr.com/3156809/teamviewer-accounts-hacked-thousands-of-customers-vulnerable/

Wow that's a big hack.

Also that lagging site filled with ads is owned and run by someone from the IM community. It makes him a few dollars. Good motivation for guys here to see how big you can really get if you learn the game.

What better software to hack than a RDP, that's pretty smart even if evil. That's why I don't save important passwords in my browser or keychain for important things and each one is unique.

Looks like I dodged a bullet, was going to install TeamViewer a while back. Ended up not doing it because I've always found it buggy.

I used TeamViewer once every couple months. I'll just reinstall it every time I require it from now on. :D

Back