Tavin in Forbes: "$8.5 Million In 3 Years" - Congrats to BuSo Member!

Potatoe

BuSo Pro
Degree
Holy smokes.

Feeling super fired up after reading this, and want to make sure everyone sees it asap since it's buried in the inspire a newbie thread.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanro...-career-path-and-made-8-5-million-in-3-years/

Huge congrats to @Tavin !!!

Here's a quick summary of the advice from the article:

1. Start Now And Don't Hesitate.

2. Realize The Journey Will Take Time And Commitment.

3. Don't Do It If You Don't Love It.

4. Focus On User Experience.

5. Reinvest As Much As You Can.

6. There's one more in the article, go read it - and to see each of these points expanded upon.

I remember working with Tavin for a bunch of logos 4-5 years ago on wickedfire, Devise being one of it. He was one of those clients who values, respects your work and pays on time. Definitely knew how to do business and communicate clearly.

Major congratulations, Tavin. That's quite the journey to cram into 3 years. The thought of the taxes on that makes me want to cry.

@Tavin Did you take any breaks in that time? Did you put a team together to help out or was it a lot of outsourcing or what? How big of a team if you didn't fly solo?

5. Reinvest As Much As You Can.
I was thinking about that today and how the conversion from:
  • Cash -> Cash Flow -> Cash
Really works out. Let's say, for the ease of calculation that a high priced liquidation will fetch 30x the monthly profit. A lot of us will hesitate investing cash, especially in the early stages when we're trying to pay bills and be ready for emergencies, but once you're past that stage, dumping money back not only lets us spend less of it on taxes but...

Say you spend $1,000 on content and promotion of one piece, and that can result in an additional $5 in cash flow daily. That's $150 a month, multiplied by 30 = $4,500. So, not even counting the cash flow that you can keep to break even on that deal or reinvest before you sell, that's basically an immediate $3,500 profit on the valuation alone.

Which is to say it's completely ridiculous not to be reinvesting.

@Ryuzaki - this is one of those lightbulb moments.

I always knew it but in the midst of making some serious content and link investments this is a moment of clarity.

Thank you.

This could not have happened to a better guy. He deserves every dime of that money and every word of that write up. WTG Tavin, super happy for you and the fam!!!

Well done @Tavin what an inspiration! Hope you are enjoying a well-earned break before you no doubt get back to the grind again.

Congrats and hope it can inspire people here. There are many people making it at this level and beyond than most here could ever imagine, let that inspire and motivate you. A very strong correlation exists between internet nerds that make money and people that don't like to talk about/show off money. All the most successful guys I know of have never had any media attention directly on themselves nor do they spend money on things that depreciate.

The fact you can start a business with just a few thousand dollars and be cash flow positive in a matter of months in these modern times is amazing. Just trying to think 5-10 years ahead instead of just 3 months though. I see so many people going for a quick cash grab when they could make SO much more if they thought more long term, myself included.

Back