Targeting tips for growing 'local' Facebook page?

Potatoe

BuSo Pro
Degree
I have a page that's basically about an entire country, for a magazine site with content that's of interest to people in said country, in a broader sense than I'm used to dealing with on Facebook. News, listicles, etc. Generally aimed at people in the 20's or 30's. Usually, I've done this based on specific niche interests, but this time it's general interest for people in a specific location.

Right now the page is just branded the same as the site, but I'm also planning on creating some meme pages once I have a baseline (For the country as a whole, and for cities. To play up city rivalries, etc). I IMAGINE they'll be easier to grow (Just based on the name, a 'funny' name vs a brand name nobody has heard about.) Maybe a page for local art, for local sports, etc, which will promote the relevant articles on the site... but that's a whole other can of worms, back to basics for now.

I'm at about 16 cents a like targeting the entire country, men and women, aged 18-28. I know I can hammer this down into smaller groups and start to see who reacts better to what, but I wonder if there's anything else to consider. Maybe targeting fans of similar magazines? I think I should split up men and women in the campaign for page likes, and then split up the ages, as a starting point, but if there's anything else I'm missing, please do tell. FB is already showing me which demos are reacting better to my first ads, so I can go from there, just as long as they'll also react well to my content once I start showing it to them.

Also I plan on doing separate pages for different cities in this country, so for those I'm starting with similar targeting to what I have now, except instead of the location being the country, it'll be the city.

Any thoughts on boosting content to help grow the page in addition to 'likes' campaigns? If I had an article "10 cutest bookstores in [city]", I imagine I'd target people in that city, who like books or certain authors? I imagine someone who likes "Harry Potter" is far too broad to assume they're interested in bookstores, whereas someone who lists "T.S. Eliot" or "Charles Dickens" maybe more interested in bookstores.

Just thinking out loud and wondering if anyone has any advice. Thanks!

Back