Stuck Before Even Starting

Degree
Reading and learning for about a week now.

I've done pretty much everything when it comes to keyword researching, compiled a list of around 50 keywords, looking for more.

The niche I'm in is pretty low competitively, except for one dang website that has around 9,000~ backlinks.
Their domain is pretty strong and super similar to the keyword though.

However, going through it I realized that their articles are uber small. Maybe around 100-500 words per article, with around 300 articles in their whole blog.
That's for sure their weak point, and i'd imagine it would be pretty easy to make articles much longer in just a short period of time.

Their strength is definitely in the social media, looks to be around at least 500k follows/likes throughout, but their engagement is super low. Fake accounts/bots perhaps?

Not too sure what to do. Would blogging a lot be enough to overtake them?

Any advice for looking up more keywords? Do you guys think it makes sense to just jump in and start?
I always feel like learning is important before starting anything, preparation is key.

Thank you,
Stevo :evil:

I always feel like learning is important before starting anything, preparation is key.

Where has that gotten you so far?

There are a lot of people sitting on the sidelines pretending and preparing - forever.

Action is key, that is it.

Everything else is just procrastination or mental masturbation. Anyone that tells you otherwise: ask them how far they’ve gotten.

There's more than 1 type of knowledge. Propositional knowledge, "know that," is what you get from reading. Another is skill based knowledge, "know how." Riding a bicycle is an example of this. At this stage, you need the latter. Go and create the site. If you fail, try again. After a few attempts, you'll figure it out.

@CCarter Oh please. At this stage he needs to execute but, if he gets further along, he'll need propositional knowledge too. Let's say he become successful enough where he needs to hire people with skills that he doesn't know himself, such as a HR person or a CFO or a data scientist. How would he know that the person he's interviewing is an expert in his or her field? He can check their epistemology, which is propositional knowledge.

Like I said, ask them how far they’ve gotten. Ask this one what his sales projections are for the next week, next month, or next quarter... A hint: they all equal the same number.

$0.

You would think someone like that would use their time more wisely instead of wasting time arguing on forums just to argue - more procrastination.

Wild. Mate. Wild.

The title of the OP states your exact problem @Unngabunga : Stuck Before Even Starting

It’s procrastination. It’s completely fear based. That’s hidden crippling fear since you are talking about a single big competitor on the internet - when the internet has millions upon millions of potential possibilities to carve out your own audience, wins, and losses.

A strong competitor means there is money to be made.

Otherwise you'll be wasting time in a niche that generates little revenue, little profits, and doesn't do anything. But IF you can clearly see someone profiting, that's a sign the niche has an audience that's willing to buy, has buying power, or is at least interested enough in there being businesses willing to take a chance.

Would blogging a lot be enough to overtake them?

Change your thought process. Don't worry about "overtaking them". Concentrate on delivering a better experience for the audience and you and your audience will overtake them in the long term.

Even if you only stay #2 - that is a hell of a lot better position than not being in the game making $0 and commentating on the sidelines of life thinking "What If?"

You don't want to be an old man asking yourself "What If?" Regret can be more powerful of a motivator than fear.

You've done all the preparation necessary. It’s not rocket surgery the next step: Action NOW, not reading more books. When it gets hard, double down, then triple down until you are the dominant force in the niche.

XIp8Zdz.gif

If you find his/her/they post helpful, he/she/they going to recommend that you check out SERPWoo.

I don't have a BST going on :smile:

In fact, I did tell OP to start. However, I don't see the benefit of standing behind anti-intellectualism when the year is 2020 and the industry is tech. It should be obvious that intellectualism would give someone an advantage in a field that changes as fast as tech and that anti-intellectualism would give someone a disadvantage.

Also, what's wrong with arguing? I see the problem when one of the interlocketers is a close-minded simpleton; but, for other people, it serves as a way of proofing their idea, plan, website, startup, etc. Arguing is the only time someone's going to hear "your idea is dumb" and be saved from a few months of fruitless work. Arguing is the only time when someone's going to get real feedback from people who are experienced in their field on what they need to do.

Arguing lets people discover the truth, which is somewhere in between what person A said and what person B said.

Take that into consideration.

I actually really enjoy reading the advice all the more experienced builders have in this forum.
It's straight up and honest, no bullshit, not to mention its funny at times.

Like I said, ask them how far they’ve gotten. Ask this one what his sales projections are for the next week, next month, or next quarter... A hint: they all equal the same number.

$0.

You would think someone like that would use their time more wisely instead of wasting time arguing on forums just to argue - more procrastination.

Wild. Mate. Wild.

The title of the OP states your exact problem @Unngabunga : Stuck Before Even Starting

It’s procrastination. It’s completely fear based. That’s hidden crippling fear since you are talking about a single big competitor on the internet - when the internet has millions upon millions of potential possibilities to carve out your own audience, wins, and losses.

A strong competitor means there is money to be made.

Otherwise you'll be wasting time in a niche that generates little revenue, little profits, and doesn't do anything. But IF you can clearly see someone profiting, that's a sign the niche has an audience that's willing to buy, has buying power, or is at least interested enough in there being businesses willing to take a chance.

Change your thought process. Don't worry about "overtaking them". Concentrate on delivering a better experience for the audience and you and your audience will overtake them in the long term.

Even if you only stay #2 - that is a hell of a lot better position than not being in the game making $0 and commentating on the sidelines of life thinking "What If?"

You don't want to be an old man asking yourself "What If?" Regret can be more powerful of a motivator than fear.

You've done all the preparation necessary. It’s not rocket surgery the next step: Action NOW, not reading more books. When it gets hard, double down, then triple down until you are the dominant force in the niche.

XIp8Zdz.gif

With that being said, I have heeded the advice and purchased a domain, wrote my first 2000+ word article, and mapped out even more competitors. :smile:
Slow start, but the more I do the faster I learn.
The crazy thing is I have actually learned a LOT more by doing, but it definitely helped to prepare a little.

I can see how it'd be easy to just be stuck reading and reading rather than doing.

If you find his/her/they post helpful, he/she/they going to recommend that you check out SERPWoo.

I don't have a BST going on :smile:

In fact, I did tell OP to start. However, I don't see the benefit of standing behind anti-intellectualism when the year is 2020 and the industry is tech. It should be obvious that intellectualism would give someone an advantage in a field that changes as fast as tech and that anti-intellectualism would give someone a disadvantage.

Also, what's wrong with arguing? I see the problem when one of the interlocketers is a close-minded simpleton; but, for other people, it serves as a way of proofing their idea, plan, website, startup, etc. Arguing is the only time someone's going to hear "your idea is dumb" and be saved from a few months of fruitless work. Arguing is the only time when someone's going to get real feedback from people who are experienced in their field on what they need to do.

Arguing lets people discover the truth, which is somewhere in between what person A said and what person B said.

Take that into consideration.

Appreciate the insight! Though I have checked out SerpWoo, and it seems to be a very useful tool as well.

In time I'll be able to learn more and hopefully I can share my journey in the laboratory, but for now
BACK TO THE GRIND

I used to lurk around juststart and BuSo.

I was slowly working on my own business. You know when I really started to learn? Once I actually posted. Once I started asking stupid questions. I asked those questions because I was bumping into stuff I had never anticipated.

And I started learning even more once I was actually working at least 8 hours/day.

Now while doing, I'm starting to notice other stuff that's wrong, apart from knowledge.
My habits are bad. My planning isn't optimal.
It's normal to change my strategy at this point, because I'm still learning, But I learned that I was switching tactics too often en too fast. I needed to learn to stick to a plan so I can learn what works and what doesn't work rather than assuming.

In short it all started REALLY clicking once I started for real and for myself.
(When you are working for a boss it's usually not that hard to make it SEEM like it's going well. When YOU are the recipient/victim/victor it's a completely different ballgame)

I did studies that should have prepared for me for this journey. I did jobs that closely align to what I do today.
The difference is night and day. It's actually insane.

I still have a lot of learning to do. And that means a lot of doing.

I would suggest you start a laboratory thread now. Mine is pretty bad. I suck at updates. It's all over the place. But when I read it, it shows me my progress. I got some people pointing out mistakes I was making before I even made them. Getting some input on your journey helps a ton. I strongly advise to just jump in.

I still have a lot of learning to do. And that means a lot of doing.

Great point. Nothing better then gaining some hands-on experience.

A thing I’ve learned was to write down everything I needed to perform in order to achieve a certain task. I quickly discovered that this big brain of mine wasn’t big enough to remember every single, but important, detail. And you know what they say: “The devil is in the details”.

Now I write down everything in Standard Operating Procedures (S.O.P.’s) and use them for every task I need to perform. It was incredible time consuming and at some point I may have gone overboard and in the process started to annoy the F out of my close circle by answering with “That should be in your S.O.P.” every single time, but I ain’t going back.

A simple Excel or Word file does the trick, at least for me. And it should be a living document that you add to or subtract from when needed.

Back