Some Wikipedia editor went through and deleted all links to my domain from Wikipedia

Degree
Anyone ever have anything like this happen?

I had a few good links that were all non-spammy and very relevant to the wiki's.

Some lady just deleted them all.

She must've done a 'site:wikipedia.com "mydomain.com"' search and just went to town.

I guess it's not that big of a deal since they are all nofollow, but the links have been there for months (years even) with no issues.

The number of people out there that want to compete through sabotage instead of making their own sites better is surprising. It's pretty low. You should be able to see exactly who made the edits and then look at all of their other edits and determine if it was some "do-gooder" versus a dirty competitor. If it's a competitor then you can probably determine which projects they're associated with. From that point, the choice is yours with how to proceed, but the options are nearly endless.

I did go through her profile. She just looks like somebody who sits there and edits wikipedia all day. Literally hundreds of edits today alone.

This happened to me, was a do-gooder not a competitor

I guess it's not that big of a deal

It's really not. There are much better websites to get linked from than wikipedia. Even if you paid for them I would cut my losses and move on without giving it another thought.

At this stage in the game, Wikipedia editors are pretty efficient at recognizing link builders trying to manipulate search results. You probably had a pattern of inserting those links that tipped them off.

Back