Site Visits Lead Follow-up

The Kloser

BuSo Pro
Degree
I have noticed from visiting other sites and opt-in for a white paper or lead magnet, their sales team/system are able to contact me by email every time I re-visit their website and use a canned response like:

I see that you have visited our site and it looks like you have read some of our content, so I just wanted to ask you a couple of questions...
What technology is been used here to trigger an automatic follow-up email?

It can be a browser cookie or even as simple as your IP address that triggers it. It's a simple custom script, once you hit their site, it finds an email connected toyour ip address, session, or cookie session and sends out the next email.

The technology is so simple, it can be an easy SAAS to setup for someone.

Just thought an Autoresponder would have something like this already built in to fire-up an auto response.

In my market, instant follow-up within the first few minutes when a lead is captured or better yet re-visit the site is key to high conversion. Something like this implemented will help tremendously with the whole follow-up process..

Edit...the company just got back to me and they are using Marketo to make this happen.

Saas Options include Pardot, Marketo and Eloqua. Of those I recommend Pardot as their support and interface was the best.

DIY options: Mautic (open source) and a mail gun account.

The term is marketing automation, also called lead nurturing or drip marketing. They work best when synced up to a CRM like Salesforce so leads can be assigned and scored based on activity and qualifications.

I know Pardot uses IP address and links it to an email address, I believe the others do too. With any of these marketing automation tools, you can set up activity and time based email campaigns with many different logic workflows. For example, you initially get someone's email and name by offering a white paper, then a few days later send them an email with a link to a landing page that remembers them and asks for their industry or company size, based on their response or lack of, you can send another email and so on.

I think the approach of "Hey, I've seen you on our site" is a little unsettling. I try to make it more subtle, like "In case you were interested... (more on the particular pages they were last viewing.)".

I think the approach of "Hey, I've seen you on our site" is a little unsettling. I try to make it more subtle, like "In case you were interested... (more on the particular pages they were last viewing.)".

I'll second this and the Mautic suggestion. Mautic is going to kill a lot of the expensive enterprise solutions. I also prefer something more subtle like putting them on a list that's directly related to the pages they visited and sending them more follow up content. It makes your newsletters highly tailored, but it's more work if you have to send out 5 versions a week, of course, so only worth it if you have a lot of leads.

I Did sign up for Mautic today base on Steve's previous recommendation and will try to have it setup. I really need to have a CRM in-place for this whole lead generation to work properly..

Last edited:
I Did sign up for Mautic today base on Steve's previous recommendation and will try to have it setup. I really need to have a CRM in-place for this whole lead generation to work properly..

You will get the most out of it synced up to a CRM but, you can do it without one. The biggest things you will be missing out on is, assigning leads and closed loop reporting.

I haven't used it but, Hubspot has a free CRM. Hubspot being a player in the marketing automation field it should play nicely with Mautic. Looks like there is a plugin too: https://www.mautic.org/docs/en/plugins/hubspot_crm.html

Back