Sit n' Stand Desks - What's Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by stackcash, Dec 27, 2016.

1. stackcash

•  
    •  
    stackcash I Sell Words

Degree:
    I'm always trying to hack my health anyway that I can, and this seated / sedentary lifestyle has gotta go.

The easiest change I can make is to get a sit n' stand desk and stand while I work. I was hoping to get some feedback on how to integrate this kind of thing into my daily lifestyle naturally.

Can also use some desk suggestions / tips.

There's a pretty wide range in prices:

Moderate: https://www.autonomous.ai/smartdesk-sit-to-stand-height-adjustable-standing-desk

Super nice / expensive: https://www.retro.net/sit-stand-desks/

2. ryandiscord

ryandiscord

Degree:

stackcash and Nat like this.
  3. Trankuility

•  
    Trankuility Breathe the body deep

Degree:
    I use a Varidesk. It's fantastic. I love it. Enough space to fit two monitors, and can be adjusted to the height that suits you. If you're not used to standing, it will take about a week to fully adjust so your feet/legs aren't getting tired. But after that, it's awesome.

After lunch I used to get so tired but I was so used to it I never actually noticed it. It was just part of the day. After I had been using the Varidesk for a while I felt more awake but again, just thought it was part of the day. It wasn't until I sat for most of the day, one particular day, that I realized what was going on. That day that super tired and lethargic feeling came back. Tested a couple more days, and sure enough, the days where I stayed sitting were the days I felt more tired and lethargic. Days when I stand I feel more alert and awake. It's great. I'll never go back to sitting if I don't have to.

4. stackcash

•  
    •  
    stackcash I Sell Words

Degree:
    That's so awesome. I feel excited for you. lol

Do you wear specific shoes or did you get a floor pad to help with any kind of lower back pain?

Do you know if you lost any weight simply from standing while working?

5. prairiedog

prairiedog

Degree:
    I have been testing this out as well and went the cheap route to at least try it - my desk was already a bit tall, so I grabbed some bed risers like this - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Adjustable-Bed-Risers/5148131 - to get my desk up high enough. I only have two complaints -

1. I find myself slouching when I am standing if I am not careful. This could be a function of height, however, so I might just need to get everything higher (or get a more respectable setup).

2. I have found that while I enjoy standing and working better, there are times where I feel the need to sit for a while. Maybe as Trankulity mentions above I just haven't adjusted to it yet.

Ryuzaki and stackcash like this.
  6. Trankuility

•  
    Trankuility Breathe the body deep

Degree:
    No specific shoes, just regular running shoes. No floor pad either. It might be even more comfortable if I got better shoes or a floor pad, just haven't gotten around to doing that, hah. Don't actually feel the need to though.

I have lost weight since using the desk. I can't definitively say that most of the weight loss is due to standing, but I do believe it to be true.

I'm burning more calories standing, plus I tend to pace a bit since I'm already standing. So that's burning some more. It's not a ton of calories, but over time it adds up (I've been using the Varidesk for about a year now). Also, when I was sitting I was more prone to drink soda and eat gummi bears while working, hah. For whatever reason, since standing, I have less desire to eat/drink junk food. Reducing the junk food has absolutely led to weight loss. I can't directly tie that to standing, but the standing does seem to have influenced it.

stackcash likes this.
  7. Concept

Concept

Degree:
    Whilst I haven't bought a sit and stand desk, I've designed by work area so I can sit and stand if I choose to.

I originally made the change when I was getting back and shoulder pain which was due to slouching and long periods of sitting. So I changed my work area to allow me to stand.

When I made the adjustments, the back pain and shoulder pain subsided after a week. Yes, your legs will get tired, but this didn't last more than a week. I found wearing running shoes helps as well. I started in just bare feet, however, I was putting a lot of weight on my heals (which is what I do when I walk and run) so the joggers counteracted that and the aching in my feet and lower back subsided after time.

I found it helped with focus too. Being able to stand up after sitting down resets my brain and gives me a second wind. I tend to put music on too, so I end up dancing/shuffling my feet. Whilst entertaining to anyone watching, the movement helps me focus.

stackcash likes this.
  8. Ryuzaki

•  
    •  
    Ryuzaki 女性以上のお金 Staff Member

Degree:
    I've been thinking about this too. I'm going to build a standing desk for my laptop, but for my desktop I'm going to order this tomorrow I think: http://www.deskcycle.com

stackcash likes this.
  9. finnegan

finnegan

Degree:
    It looks good, but I would think you'd bang your knees on the desk while using it.

10. Stephen

•  
    Stephen Tired veteran

Degree:
    Hi Guys,

I've been using an electric adjustable desk from Ikea for several years now, I can say it certainly helps on a number of fronts. But one thing I would also ensure you have is something nice to stand on, I have a yoga mat that is doubled up. Make sure you vary between sitting and standing every so often and I also have a Swiss ball to use when I do feel like I want to sit down.

Do it, you won't look back!

I think this is the one I have http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29022520/

stackcash likes this.
  11. c4yrslf12

c4yrslf12

Degree:
    I have both, a dedicated sitting and a dedicated standing. I most definitely prefer to stand. No shoes, just a nice padded carpet. I'm fit, so I never really felt much of the leg soreness or tiredness. Just take regular breaks if you do. No reason to stand in the same place all day, either. Move around. I have a headset and I pace a lot when on the phone.

stackcash likes this.
  12. stackcash

•  
    •  
    stackcash I Sell Words

Degree:
    Nice idea. My problem is that I'm experiencing anterior pelvic tilt from sitting all day. It's making my spine look all wonky. Not sitting for prolonged periods of time + stretching is really the only way to fix.

Good idea with the doubled yoga mat!

13. daseoman

•  
    daseoman

Degree:
    I just made myself a standing desk to test it out (used a dresser, some boxes :smile: ). I did this like 6 months ago and I have been using it ever since.

I usually site a part of the day and stand the rest of it. I change my position every few hours or so. If I worked or something and my legs hurt then I sit a bit more :smile: In any case I have seen an improvement in my lower back pain and also my posture and overall feeling. I definitely suggest doing at least part of the day standing up.

stackcash likes this.