Single Page Template for Content Curation

Degree
Hello guys,

I noticed that on product hunt curated content lists are well liked by the community. "Stacks" like marketingstack, contentmarketingstack, startupstash etc. are following a metro style template.

I am looking for a way to create such a list(inkl. favicons) extremely fast. I already have enough links sorted by categories in an excel sheet, but look for a stylish single page solution for my wordpress based site.

Any single page templates/code you can recommend? Want to push out this page extremely fast.

I appreciate your replies!

I am sure a product that does exactly this got hunted in ProductHunt itself (alongside the curated lists themselves).

I perused through a few stacks... and man, they just seem really busy and a bit confusing/messy.

Can you make a custom post type "resource," with fields matching your excel sheet, import your excel data, and then make the category page loop through every resource without pagination?

Take a look at custom post types, custom fields and WP Import All. I don't know specifically what you're after, but a combination of those 3 things can create some pretty powerful stuff.

@algospider what did you end up using/doing? I decided that I want to implement something similar as well.

The WP All Import plugin works great for stuff like this, though I know many may not want to foot the bill for it. That being said, the basic way it would work is, you take your seed list, like a CSV, and you import it. Through the import process, one of the steps is mapping the different fields of data to the appropriate places within the post editor.

How I've used this to good effect before, while keeping it relatively simple, is Bootstrap + creating the code for an initial list item. The way WPAI works, when you've mapped your fields, it loops over each row of data in the source file and can either generate one iteration of a row of data applied to your code template. It can also do this while creating an entire separate page per row of data.

I forget what the option or setting is, but in this case, you would just have it loop over the code template on that single page, generating a complete list of items and your code along with it. Once you see the power of this and consider the ways this can help scale content production, the price tag easily justifies itself.

In lieu of an option like WPAI though, what you might look for is possibly just a straight PHP template that can generate a list from CSV or something like that, and then incorporate the individual PHP file into the correct place in your WP directory. I forget exactly where, off-hand, but there is a way to do this that will allow you to effectively add an entire "page" to your site. You can even use this method to actually just push a static page live on site. It can be kind of a "hacky" way to do it, that may not be realistic to deal with at scale, but if you need quick implementation, that would probably be one option.

Back