Should we try to rank for another brand's brand name?

Degree
When you are writing a review post are you selecting as keyword "brand name review" or trying to rank for the "brand name"?

Let's take the following example:
  • "Brand name" 15,000 monthly searches
  • "Brand name review" 200 monthly searches
  • "Brand name pricing" 50 monthly searches
Should I create a huge post for the brand name and the keywords "brand name review" and "brand name pricing" will rank as long tail variation. Or is it better to create separated posts?

@Lowrider, this is a bad plan in my estimation. You might rank for "brand name" for a while, but it rarely lasts, especially if the brand does even the tiniest modicum of online reputation management.

If I have a brand website, a Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and even a few more profiles on related sites to my niche... you can pretty much forget it. I don't even have to build links to these if I set up the right "sameAs schema" to associate them with my brand. They will rank for my brand name and the best you can do is page 2, but I've probably got that on lock too.

Not to mention "brand name" as a search query has a less targeted intent than you're going to want if you're not the brand. The big volume of searches may seem appealing but you're just playing a numbers game with lower intent. The other two search queries you listed are likely to earn you more money.

But yeah, I've seen people go for all "brand name" keywords and never make a dime. I've seen some focus on ranking just one and finally crack the top 10 only to lose it in the next algo update to the brand's social media profiles, etc. I wouldn't do it.

Not to mention "brand name" as a search query has a less targeted intent than you're going to want if you're not the brand. The big volume of searches may seem appealing but you're just playing a numbers game with lower intent. The other two search queries you listed are likely to earn you more money.
Because the industry I'm in is not very mature yet, I inadvertently rank for "brand name." CTRs are terrible, around 0.5%, even while ranking on the 1st page. Comparing the exact query to queries containing, which sits around 3.5% (including those thousands of worthless exact brand impressions), it's a no-brainer. Plus it looks the same no matter which website/program exact query I bring up.

As @Ryuzaki said, it's all about intent: when people type in "builder society" they want to go to Builder Society. Not Builder Society Review (2021), not Builder Society Top Threads of All Time, not Is Builder Society Legit?

Back