"Secrets to the Millionaire Mind - Recap

Degree
Someone on Reddit shared this and I thought I'd copy and paste it over. The author recommends exposing yourself to these concepts constantly and hopefully doesn't mind this summary of his main points existing. I'll probably read the full book because I know it'll be full of examples that help make this stuff stick. Im going to clean it up the format some for easy reading.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfi...ead_secrets_to_the_millionaire_mind_in_a_day/

what's funny is there's a TON of people upvoting and saying nothing. Then there's the comments full of negativity and hate getting upvotes from all of the people downvoting the advice. Complete polarization. The vocal minority crying once again, while everyone else keeps their mouth shut and tries to improve themselves.

_______ pasta below _______

I'm particularly interested in a discussion or agree/disagree input of millionaires (net worth), or finance advisers regarding the validity of these thoughts. Author T. Harv Eker emphasizes attending his Millionaire Mind Seminar, and also ends the book with saying that you should reread the book every month for a year. After the first 2 readings, it might not be too difficult to do it in a half day. BUT, I think even being exposed to the ideas, if you have never been exposed before will be helpful, at least in some degree. Here are the highlights of the 200 pages:

Money Blueprint

T --> F --> A --> = R

Thoughts lead to feelings, leads to actions, leads to results. Therefore thoughts trickle to results. Change the roots of your thoughts and the fruits of your actions will soon follow. Your financial blueprint (plan for how money will come and go in your life, what your future will look like, financially) is a combination of thoughts, feelings, and actions.

But really there is a pre-programming that occurs in your early life/ upbringing that come from three influences: verbal (what is said around you about money), modeling (what you saw while you were raised), and specific incidents (experiences).

P --> T --> F --> A --> = R

Programming influences thoughts which lead to feelings, leads to actions, leads to results. [Note: "When the subconscious mind must choose between deeply rooted emotions and logic, emotions will almost always win."] There is an actual dollar amount for which many of us are programmed (and this can cause limitation).

17 "Wealth Files"

Ways that Rich people (extreme stereotype) think/act differently from middle-class and poor/broke people (extreme stereotype). Commit these to memory so that you have them to draw from when struggling or facing an unwanted, pre-programmed thought emerging. There are also exercises that put the material into practice, but I'll skip those for now; if someone wants them, PM me or get the book.

1)
Rich people believe "I create my life." (vs poor: "Life happens to me." Play the role of the victim, justify their circumstances, complain). There is no such thing as a really rich victim.

2)
Rich people play the money game to win (vs poor: just don't lose - have enough to pay the bills, or to be comfortable). Goal of rich is to have massive wealth and abundance.

3)
Rich people are committed ("to devote oneself unreservedly") to being rich (vs. poor: want to be rich, but have negative thoughts of rich). "The number one reason most people don't get what they want is that they don't know what they want." Rich are fully committed; will do whatever legal, moral, ethical thing that it takes to have wealth.

4)
Rich people think BIG (vs poor: small). The Law of Income: You will be paid in direct proportion to the value you deliver according to the marketplace. Your life is not only about you; it is also about contributing to others.

5)
Rich people focus on opportunities (vs poor: obstacles). "Rich take responsibility for the results in their lives and act upon the mindset, 'It will work because I will make it work.' " Expect to succeed. Take educated risks; do research without stalling. Focus on what you want; focus on all opportunities.

6)
Rich people admire other rich and successful people (vs poor: resent them). Your opinions make no difference about the wealth others have; they are dis-empowering you. Try on these characteristics: positive, reliable, focused, determined, persistent, hardworking, energetic, good with people, competent communicator, semi-intelligent, expert in at least one area. "Bless that which you want."

7)
Rich people associate with positive, successful people (vs poor: negative & unsuccessful). The fastest and easiest way to create wealth is to learn from rich people. Energy is contagious: either affect or infect others & visa versa.

8)
Rich people are willing to promote themselves and their value (vs poor: negatively view selling). Willing to promote oneself, products, services, and ideas - with passion and enthusiasm. Rich people are usually leaders and great leaders are great promoters. Leaders earn more than followers. You need to believe in your own value and what you have to offer people.

9)
Rich people are bigger than their problems (vs poor: smaller & try to avoid problems). Secret to success is to grow yourself so that you are bigger than any problem. To move to the next level of success, become conscious of what is going on in your life; don't focus on the problem, focus on the size of you. The bigger problems you can handle, the bigger business, more employees, more responsibility, the more money & wealth you can handle. Focus on the goal. If you are unstoppable, anything and everything is available to you; choose it.

10)
Rich people are excellent receivers (vs poor: poor receivers). Your feelings of unworthiness won't prevent you from getting rich; worthiness is just a "story." "If you say you're worthy, you are." Giving and receiving are two sides of the same coin (so "giving is better than receiving"--NO).; for every giver there must be a receiver. Not receiving can actually deny the giver of joy and pleasure. Rich people are more willing to receive. Rain doesn't care who gets it, neither does money. Rich believe in being well-rewarded for their efforts. "Money will make you more of what you already are."

11)
Rich people choose to get paid based on results (vs poor: based on time). "There's nothing wrong with getting a steady paycheck, unless it interferes with your ability to earn what you're worth." Rich people believe in themselves and their ability to deliver. Never have a ceiling to your income.

12)
Rich people think 'both' (vs poor: either/or). Rich people live in a world of abundance, the best of both worlds (even if it takes a little creativity). You can have your cake and eat it too. Money can be used over and over (passed on, maybe, but not depleted).

13)
Rich people focus on their net worth (vs poor: working income). Millionaires ask & talk about net worth, financial value of everything you own, not "how much do you make?" Huge distinction - four net worth factors: 1. Income, working or passive; 2. Savings, keep some to actually create wealth; 3. Investments, the better you are, the faster your money will grow; 4. Simplification, consciously create a lifestyle with a lower cost of living so more is available for saving and investing. "Where attention goes, energy flows, and results show." Track your net worth.

14)
Rich people manage their money well (vs poor: mismanage money). Wealthy people are not any smarter, have more supportive money habits. Money management promotes financial freedom. The habit of handling is more important the amount you are handling. Practice allocation: 10% into Financial Freedom account (only for investments and passive-income), 10% into "play" account, 10% into Long-Term Savings, 10% into Education (self improvement included), 50% into Necessities (cost of living), 10% into Give.

15)
Rich people have their money work hard for them (vs poor: work hard for money). Money is energy; you can put in work energy or substitute investment energy to get money energy out of what you put in. "You become financially free when your passive income exceeds your expenses." Rich people think long-term, earning money for their investments to pay for their future. Generally buying for immediate gratification is an attempt to make up for dissatisfaction in life. "Rich people see every dollar as a 'seed' that can be planted to earn a hundred more dollars, which can be replanted to earn a thousand more dollars."

16)
Rich people act in spite of fear (vs poor: let fear stop them). "Action is the 'bridge' between the inner world and the outer world." Don't wait for fear to subside. "The only time you are actually growing is when you are uncomfortable." Get out of your comfort zone, expand your opportunity zone, to move into a different wealth zone. "Training and managing your own mind if the most important skill you could ever own, in terms of both happiness and success."

17)
Rich people constantly learn and grow (vs poor: think they already know). "Success is a learnable skill. Rich people understand the order to success is BE, DO, HAVE." Learn from those who have already been where you want to go.

At one point, I thought this book and others like it were amazin. Now, I think they're just dumb.

The book claims that you can become wealthy if you adopt the mindsets it lists. It says wealthy individuals have these mindsets and that's what lead them to become wealthy.

It's total BS. Correlation does not equal causation.

Besides, how did T. Harv come up with this list? did he just ask a few people who were rich? Did he ask all rich people? How did he define "rich"? Did he just *make it up?*

I can tell you something that has a causation with wealth: putting your nose to the grindstone, building an innovation and monetizing it, spending less than you earn, saving, and investing your savings.

This pop-psychology BS is for idiots. Attend his Millionaire Mind Intensive seminar and ask those people how their business is doing. Most are employees and most are living paycheck to paycheck.

I'm paraphrasing what an MIT professor of entrepreneurship said "most people have what it takes to become a successful entrepreneur, what they're missing is the entrepreneurial atmosphere and team. Most of the time, it takes meeting successful entrepreneurs for someone to realize 'oh hey, I guess starting a successful business is possible'." No pop-psychology needed.

@GrandMaster & @Philip J. Fry I'm not sure what was going on all in here but I really don't care - nonsense removed.

--

Only thing that matters is action. But action without the right mindset won't get you anywhere. The OP's list is solid. If you act like a grunt worker cause all you know is grunt work you'll be plowing the fields of your boss for your whole life. If you don't change your mindset and shift your frame of reference from a grunt laborer to a creative producer of goods and services people are willing to pay you money for, then you'll continue the hard labor of the fields earning nickles and dimes.

I don't think this list is dumb or made up. It's pretty obvious that for each point above, if you side with the "poor" version of it you're sabotaging yourself every time you turn around.

Psychology IS the causative factor in everything you do, as explained at the first of the post. Your formative influences can be overcome, and then it's up to you to plant the correct karmic seeds in your mind that lead to auspicious emotions and actions that lead to success.

The problem with trying to lift success out of the abstract world of thought and anchor it entirely into the concrete world of "nose and grindstone" is the exact point of The Millionaire Fastlane book, which was written by a self-made millionaire from SEO and Lead Generation.

You can grind all day long at your day job, work harder and longer than everyone else, and at the end of the day, you get paid the same amount for flipping burgers as the next person. It matters what you're grinding over, for one. It matters if your reward is tied to your time invested, which doesn't scale. And it especially matters in regards to the value you're offering.

I agree the formula appears simple... "innovate and monetize, save and reinvest." Innovation and creativity doesn't arise from unrefined through processes, ever, let alone saving and reinvesting maturely.

You can't divorce thought from action. I've never seen a rock or a dead log roll itself out of the forest and become a billionaire.

Rich people...
  1. believe "I create my life."
  2. play the money game to win
  3. are committed
  4. think BIG
  5. focus on opportunities
  6. admire other rich people
  7. associate with positive, successful people
  8. are willing to promote themselves
  9. are bigger than their problems
  10. are excellent receivers
  11. choose to get paid based on results
  12. think 'both'
  13. focus on their net worth
  14. manage their money well
  15. have their money work hard for them
  16. act in spite of fear
  17. constantly learn and grow
There's an even shorter version once you know what they mean in the wider sense.

I thought about this the other day. I told my brother, who is the hippy type, about someone I know who is now making $30k a month. My brother makes less than $10k a year.

Instead of being like, "Wow, maybe I could do that too," he became disgusted and angry.

That let's you know how poor people think. They think money is evil (yet wish they had it) and think anyone who's making good money must be cheating and hurting someone else to get it.

This is not "dumb, total BS, pop psychology" as guy above said. I can guarantee you without a shadow of a doubt that he makes less than $10k a year.

Everything starts with the mind.

Back