Search Volume Between Moz and Ahrefs

Degree
I'm using both of these softwares and much of the time I get completely different numbers from each of them. Moz especially tends to show high traffic volume for many keywords, even though their ranges are broad. For example, they have one keyword at 30k - 70k and yet Ahrefs shows a search volume of only 3000/month for the same KWD.

So who is more accurate here?

So who is more accurate here?
Between Moz and Ahrefs - Google is the most accurate. Moz and Ahrefs are 3rd party data tools getting their data from additional secondary sources like clickstream (Moz uses Jumpshot for their data according to this blogpost: https://moz.com/blog/clickstream-data-revolution).

The primary source is always going to be the most accurate, yet if the primary source doesn't want to provide that data to you there is very little you can do.

I took those KWDs to Google to get their opinion and they are giving me ranges larger than Moz. I'm assuming this is because I don't spend 100k/day with them on Adwords. What bullshit.

I haven't actually used the keyword tool in SERPWoo yet, but I can tell you from my experience the data seems to be pretty accurate. The reason I haven't used it is I still get accurate data from Google's keyword planner - I don't spend a ton either, but I'm guessing age of account/spending is a factor I've just spent a couple hundred to a couple thousand per month in this account over the last 4 years. Or maybe it's just a certain dollar amount threshold an account has to surpass, but def not 100k - even per year :wink:

I have several projects/clients in SERPWoo with dozens to hundreds of keywords in each one and every time I compare the KW volume data in SERPWoo to actual impressions for a search term ranking on page 1 in GWT (Search Console) the data is pretty damn close. It's perhaps slightly higher volume reported or maybe using more recent data than a 12 month average has been one thought I've had - which often times seems more accurate recent data than G's KW planner. I've checked out many tools for KW research over the years and more often than not I'm disappointed with the accuracy. SERPWoo seems fairly on par with SEMrush KW volume data, but from my experience slightly more accurate and at a fraction of the price. But I'm not sure where or how SERPWoo sources the data, I've been too busy/shy to ask. Maybe @CCarter or someone will chime in with more info on this.

Anyways, even Keyword Planner and GWT data doesn't filter out all the bots/bogus searches (I'm sure of this) so there is always a degree of estimation/comparison. So for my next in depth KW research project I'm definitely going to use a combination and comparison between SERPWoo's tool and Google Keyword Panner... maybe someone should do a good article on KW research for modern day 2017 SEO, but I ain't got time fo that. So if you're looking for an affordable solution for KW research I would say try out SERPWoo, but know that any of it is just a sort of estimation.

Back