Recovering Failing SEO Sites with the Kitchen Sink Method

makoloko

opinionated coder
Degree
The best move is more improvement under the hood “audit style” while publishing and attracting links. It’s basically business-as-usual while improving all the kitchen sink items.
This is good to hear. I've been updating content and using Screaming Frog to periodically check for new problems to fix. Two examples:
  • I added social profile links to the footer. After a few weeks, I discovered they were nofollow links. Oops!
  • One page was reported to no longer be in the index. I realized it was a mega post and pretty crappy. So I rewrote it and requested indexing. Note: SF is able to detect this because I have it linked up to GSC and GA.
This really shows the importance of having a process for checking for problems and using a good tool.

I also didn't realize these latest Dec updates weren't core updates. Geez, 3 years in and I'm still a noob :smile:

Degree
Question about one of my sites which tanked. Desktop page speed is good. Problem is mobile!

Now I'm not sure what to do either i build up site from ground up? Or hire someone to fix it? I'm more keen for a first choice.

First Contentful Paint 1.9 s Time to Interactive 5.3 s Largest Contentful Paint 9.2 s Total Blocking Time 360 ms Speed Index 2.7 s

When I check top score "Assessment of basic online indicators: Successfully" Largest Contentful Paint (LCP) : 1.5 , First Input Delay (FID) 28 ms , Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS) : 0.03 only Interaction to Next Paint (INP) is on orange.

makoloko

opinionated coder
Degree
Question about one of my sites which tanked. Desktop page speed is good. Problem is mobile!

Now I'm not sure what to do either i build up site from ground up? Or hire someone to fix it? I'm more keen for a first choice.

First Contentful Paint 1.9 s Time to Interactive 5.3 s Largest Contentful Paint 9.2 s Total Blocking Time 360 ms Speed Index 2.7 s

When I check top score "Assessment of basic online indicators: Successfully" Largest Contentful Paint (LCP) : 1.5 , First Input Delay (FID) 28 ms , Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS) : 0.03 only Interaction to Next Paint (INP) is on orange.

First step, use performance profiler in the browser's Dev Tools to analyze. Set it to act like mobile device with a slow network. Look for the FCP event and check what's loading before that.

Then optimize.

You probably have lots of crap loading that should be deferred, chopped out, or minimized. Do you have any above the fold ads?

Degree
First step, use performance profiler in the browser's Dev Tools to analyze. Set it to act like mobile device with a slow network. Look for the FCP event and check what's loading before that.

Then optimize.

You probably have lots of crap loading that should be deferred, chopped out, or minimized. Do you have any above the fold ads?
Thank you I hired programmer because of one thing. Website was made so-so and then we fixed the holes (not best solution). Design will be same / or a bit better and built from ground up. This will fix bad coding which was most likely used and i bet the overall page quality and also speed will be much better.

Above the folds. Yes sticky Google adsense ad and on desktop Google sidebar ad which is quite large ad.

Degree
I implemented some of @Ryuzaki recommendations stated here, but more so the E-E-A-T recommendations in another thread that I was missing.

Going through more than 600 posts and adding outbound links, and reworking my most popular 50–100 posts that used to pull in the bulk of the traffic sure took a long time.

Like many, I lost 50-60% of my traffic. In my case, many articles that were previously ranking 1-3 dropped to 3-5 and those that were ranking 3-5 dropped to 7-8.

If my traffic doesn't come back after the new few updates, I'll be at a loss.

The end goal is to sell the site 2–3 years down the line, so I'm a bit concerned about the fake team I created when it gets to that point.

I didn't state any credentials, accolades or anything along those lines.

If/when traffic recovers, I'll update here.

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
but more so the E-E-A-T recommendations in another thread that I was missing.
Thanks, for reminding me. I added them into the opening post. These include:

Numbers 10, 11, and 12 added to the Branding Signals, which now encapsulates EEAT. These include Prove You're Real, Prove You're Worthy, and Use Schema & Microdata.

I also added number 13 to the On-Page SEO section for Outbound Linking.