Recommended Simultaneous Screen Recording & Webcam Recording Software for MacOS?

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
I've never had a need that something simple like Quicktime couldn't manage, but I'm about to start filming training videos for new hires and I want to make them semi-immaculate.

I've seen videos where people not only manage to have themselves in the bottom corner from the webcam video, but they also record audio from the webcam so they can narrate their videos.

The rest of the video would consist of a screen recording. But I'd also like it if the software had the means to show a little radiating color graphic when I click the mouse, or even makes the mouse pointer a little bigger, etc. Anything that helps the viewer follow along more easily.

What would you all recommend? I'm familiar with the name Camtasia and that's it, but not sure if it would do the job. Anyone got any advice here?

Oh, and I'd much prefer if the software runs on MacOS. Thanks.

Screenflow is my ONLY choice. It's really user friendly for editing videos of massive sizes, you can record yourself with your web cam, and the screen, even import other videos, gifs, images, and the whole shebang. It's actually how I did all those SERPWoo videos:

I know it's an ANCIENT video, but all that was done with Screenflow, I wanted to show the moving around and shit you can do with elements (2 videos combined, "Christina" and the screen record).

I didn't enable the webcam option, but it's pretty simple, AND if you have multiple screens you can select which screen gets recorded:

qMDHtsJ.png

You can also connect other audio or video devices and record simultaneous. I personally recommend recording each individually and then mashing things together like I did, cause things can get complicated. The user interface is very very easy. Mind you this is the previous version:

f1BZUwN.png

(Above is an iPhone video edit). It's got tracks, like photoshop layers, got the little library of your media, and just drag and drop, and you are good to go. Also the exporting is FAST and easy, tons of formats, especially for hi-res formats.

Another very useful part of screenflow is the export to your youtube/vimeo (or other accounts) option. That saves tons of time

@CCarter, thanks. That checks off every single box I needed, and even had me looking up last night about getting a green screen, lighting it evenly, and using the chroma key feature to cut my background out so I can put myself in the corner without blocking out extra parts of the screen.

I found it interesting that it captures your clicks independently, like on another track I guess, so you can go back and refine the "click effects", turn them on and off on sections, etc. Maybe that's standard but it impressed me as a newbie to this kind of recording and editing. They also have all the text and graphic overlays you could want.

Something else you guys might want to look into is Mac's QuickTime Player screen Recorder than importing that video into Gifski to turn videos into gifs quickly. You can throw the gifs into Photoshop or Screenflow afterwards, it saved a ton of time.

It's the same creator that created ImageOptim. I didn't even know about this Gif to video .webm stuff they had. I use ImageOptim to in lieu of Kraken.io and stripe away all geo-tagged nonsense.

OBS is the best one out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back