Recommend me a Macbook

Degree
I have been using Macbook for mpre than 10 years and even though I have a windows desktop for some stuff, I can't get myself to fully switch to Windows.

Started with a White Macbook, and then a macbook pro, both of which served me well and the right before the new thinner and smaller macbook and macbook pro came out, I really liked the Air since my usage was not very demanding. Just running a few tools, mostly browsers and minimal graphics or video work.

And I bought the Air. The air is not as robust as my previous two mac and now I have a feeling my Air will die up on me anytime soon. I already took it to the clinic and got it fixed, but wake up is taking a few second longer etc, and basically I want to upgrade.

I will be doing light graphics work, just opening and editing. Nothing Fancy. Some video work again, nothing fancy. I am pretty bad at that.

Mostly browser and the various tools for SEO and Online marketing. Multipe Tabs basicallly and lots of excels sheets.
Little bit of programming.

The Macbook comparision on the Apple website makes me feel like a kid in a candy shop and want to add everything, but I want something good, but not unnecessary.

I know it is funny coming from a guy who wants to buy an apple product, but you know what I mean.

Which is a good option for what I mentioned above.

Sounds like you want a high end Mac huh?

You already had the Air, which is what I would recommend, since it is so light and easy to carry along.

Maybe you would want an Air and also an iMac.

That's probably what I'm going to get next.

I am not very happy with the air and the only reason I bought it was the size, and the current crop of Macbok pros are very thin.

Looks like everyone's into windows

Looks like everyone's into windows

I'm on a Mac Pro right now. I just don't know what to say. There's not that many options. You don't want a Macbook Air (I have one, it's nice, sitting in the corner collecting dust though).

That leaves you with one single choice: Macbook Pro.

The tasks that you described (light image and video editing) and using a browser and spreadsheets aren't demanding on the computer at all.

The real questions aren't what Macbook to get. It's what color do you want? Silver or Gray? And what stats do you want?

I'd tell you to get 16 GB of RAM just because of the video editing and piece of mind knowing it won't ever be your bottleneck.

I'd tell you to get at least the 512 GB solid state drive or you're not going to have enough space to do much video editing.

You might want the better GPU. I'm not sure, never looked into these new ones. I'm sure either will be great for quick rendering and live playback of big files. But they'll suck for gaming, not that there's many games anyways.

I hear you on the Air not really having much of a size advantage any more. That selling point is kind of lost now.

Reactions: DD1
Option A)

1.4GHz Quad-Core Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
256GB Storage
Touch Bar and Touch ID

• 1.4GHz quad-core 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645
  • 8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 256GB SSD storage1
  • Retina display with True Tone
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
$1,499.00

Option B)

2.4GHz Quad-Core Processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
256GB Storage
Touch Bar and Touch ID

• 2.4GHz quad-core 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
  • 8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 256GB SSD storage1
  • Retina display with True Tone
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
$1,799.00

---
is the option B overkill or will I miss something if I went for option A
Option A has slightly longer lasting battery I guess

I'd do more memory if I were you.

I have an iMac as my main workhorse. 32 GB ram and most of the upgrades when I bought it earlier this year. It's a dream to work on, but it's about 2x the price of your listed options, and obviously not portable.

I also have two Macbook pros, one is from 2014 and I actually used it as my main work computer earlier. Also with 8 GB of ram, which is not a lot. It's fine for web stuff, but some processes like Photoshop and Docker can eat a lot of memory.

The second Macbook, a little over one year old now, my wife usually uses when she does some work with me like Wordpress, web, writing etc.

I still use the first Macbook maybe once/twice per month when I travel or when I don't want to go downstairs to my office and just do some quick work.

If you have the option, I'd do option A, but opt for larger harddrive (if you do vid editing), and more memory. My newer Macbook also has just 2 thunderbolt ports, but it works well as whenever I use more than one (for charging), I have one of those thunderbolt hubs with a 35" wide display and stuff connected to it. I'm not sure you need the higher end CPU.

What is the minimum model required for ad hoc webmaster work?

I've been running on a 2015 Macbook Air with 8gigs so far and honestly, it can do the job. It bogs down a bit when I have like Photoshop, Chrome, Rank Tracker, any combination, but it does work. I can run 20+ open tabs. I never have like serious spinning disk syndrome.

I mostly just want a long battery life and something that will keep up with requirements for the next 3-4 years.

I have become frugal with time, so even if I just want to go buy the 16gig Macbook 2020 or more, I am not sure I have a need. I am not sure I even have a need for a Macbook Pro. Maybe I would be better served with a Macbook Air 2020. If the 2015 can almost do the job, do I really need a top model? As an aside, I am writing this on a Mac Mini from 2011 and this one also does the job fine.

If I buy a cheaper Mac, I could supplement with an iPhone, which I have wanted for some time, maybe a used XR.

I mostly just want a long battery life and something that will keep up with requirements for the next 3-4 years.
In the next gen they are going to switch to mobile processors on the mac lineup. They are going to use similar ones to the iPhones, and they expect way more battery life and performance, and the price may even be cheaper.
Imagine the basic model with 15 hours of battery life or something like that.
So if your laptop is doing ok for now, you can wait a bit and get those.

About iPhones I have the first SE since I like small phones, and before that I got a 5S. If you like to look up banks and stuff on your phone is a good idea to have an iPhone since they get updates for at least 5 years. I pay with the phone with apple pay and I can have now my driving license on it too, so when I go out I don't even have to bring a wallet anymore.

I've heard that the keyboards can be hit or miss on some of the post-2015 models (just something else to keep in mind if you do a lot of typing or you're particular about how a keyboard feels). I don't know the specific years or models, but I think it's something about scissor style vs butterfly style?

I'm still using a base model 2015 MBP for my 'daily driver', I have a more powerful PC in another room but haven't bothered with it since the Macbook still does everything I need for work and I haven't been playing games or editing videos lately. I've probably been in my old office on my PC for a total of 6 hours this year. MBP is working a-ok to power two monitors, 10-20 tabs, NBA playoffs in the background.

It's frozen a few times lately if I have a video playing, bunch of tabs, Photoshop, and Skype but it gets the job done. I was thinking of getting a Mac Mini to replace it, since I use it at my desk 95% of the time, especially with winter coming up, where sitting in the garden isn't much of an option anymore. (Until I get one of these, at least......... with a heater :cool:)

Yeah, I don't really need a new Mac to be honest.

I think I'll spend the money on a chair instead and an iphone XR.

I already bought. In fact my old air seemed faster not sure why. I heard good things abiut the new macbook air.

Back