Received DMCA Violation - Would like your opinion

I submitted the counter claim earlier today so no going back now. I'm looking at this as a lesson. If they back down, I'll learn from it and get better. If they sue me, fuck them. I'll lose $4 - $5K which will suck but I'll learn from it, come back, and fuck them right in the ass. One road is harder than the other but either way, I learn, get better, and smash them.

I submitted the counter claim earlier today so no going back now. I'm looking at this as a lesson. If they back down, I'll learn from it and get better. If they sue me, fuck them. I'll lose $4 - $5K which will suck but I'll learn from it, come back, and fuck them right in the ass. One road is harder than the other but either way, I learn, get better, and smash them.
4-5k you could spend on building a larger Facebook page for example

True. But I'll recoup that loss soon enough. IF it's a loss. Based on what I've seen from them, and from the info supplied in this thread, I feel it's much more likely they'll back down.

If they back down, I'll establish myself as someone not to fuck with. If I were to back down, then they'll bully me. And what about if other websites try the same? No, I push back. I'm willing to bet on myself.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. And in that case, as mentioned, I'll learn, and overcome. But even then, I still establish that I'm not someone to fuck with because I will push back. Which will make them think twice about doing it again.

In the eyes of the law or at least the court, if you copy more than 5% of your competitors site then it is considered infringment, at least that is how the ruled against me.

Yea, but if you did that investment without consulting a lawyer like I said earlier then you completely deserve to pay out the ass. Could've saved yourself money and time. The only learning experience to chalk up if you ask me is 'you don't talk to their lawyer, lawyers talk to lawyers.' If you walk away without paying anything then go buy a couple lotto tickets.

A good lawyer joke I heard when I used to work with a bunch of them (I did attorney marketing):

"What do you call someone who defends themselves in court?"
"Guilty."

Wow your host blows and threw you under the bus for no reason if they told you remove it even if you are challenging the DMCA - I'd find a new one. Looks like different hosts do act much differently about this according to links from @juliantrueflynn

Don't be to scared over the risks here - you've got a great attitude about it, it's a learning experience. The vast majority of people put themselves at all sorts of legal risks to be sued, they just don't realize it so they don't worry about it. Should no one drive that doesn't have 10mm+ insurance policies? Because in any actual accident you are at fault for you could get sued for well over whatever your insurance pays.

There are definitely times when you should get a lawyer ASAP. Getting actually sued and served a law suit? Sure. Government agency of some sort is engaging you on something? Of course. Some poor piss ant website sends a DMCA request to your host for a similar article they are butt hurt about? Not so much.

I know a good amount of people in this industry and I can count on one hand the amount of people that have actually been sued by a company worth less than 10mm. Smaller companies simply don't go around suing people.

Well, never heard back from the site so I was able to put my article back up yesterday. Gonna look into switching to Knownhost though.

Now about copying content...I'm subscribed to different competitors newsletter. Today I received an email from them that sums up their recent articles. Check it out and one of their posts is a direct rip of my content. Not a rewrite, just a straight up rip from my page with all the images ripped too. They provided a link at the bottom back to my site but it's a "nofollow". Cocksuckers. Gonna contact them to change it to a "dofollow".

I would honestly just rewrite the article and move on. Sure maybe you could fight it an win, but what is the cost of re-writing the article.. $20? Rewrite and move on! Way better than legal fees.

Back