Ranking Locally With A .co ??

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
Is such a thing even possible?

When it comes to SEO etc its like playing football in the dark for me.

Here's your definitive answer: right from the horse's mouth

any Generic Top Level Domain (gTLD), such as .com, .net, .org can rank locally. Google also treats some Country Code Top Level Domains (ccTLD) as if they are global. The list can be found on that page, which includes .co because so many people use it to mean "company." Same goes for .me, which is Montenegro, but I have one ranking right now globally.

The real question isn't which can be narrowed down to a local area, but which can be broadened out to global. Any can be narrowed down.

What you need to do is put it in Webmaster Tools and designate very specifically which region on the planet you are attempting to rank for. It also helps to have an address on the page, have the hosting coming from an IP in that region, and also receive backlinks from that region. But technically, all you really need to do is jump into Webmaster Tools and tell them explicitly what region you're operating in.

Hmmm..

As @Ryuzaki pointed out, Google officially looks at some TLDs as equal to local content.

My experience in the Borked SEO project was that I was able to move up fast in the .ch space with a .ch domain.
That despite there being some .de domains (same language) that had been in there for years.

My very subjective, and anecdotal impression:
Local content + local TLD FTW!

YMMV.

::emp::

PS: I should have added that I seldom dabbled locally in my own projects. This, however confirmed what I saw in a lot of other projects / clients and others.

Paging @CCarter

I know you did on overview of tld's per country, but I can't seem to find it.

Until then, the proof is in the pudding

Go to your local Google, type in your keyword and note down how many NON-local tld's you find.
Take special note of those .net .co , etc... domains you find.
See if they are worth their salt.

If you think you can outdo them in terms of content - grab a LOCAL tld and do it.

:tongue:

::emp::

Back