Random posts at the bottom - yay or nay?

Degree
At some point, I started using an autogenerated list of five random "other posts" at the bottom of my articles. Basically as a way to keep them reading.

Do you think this messes up my interlinking in any way? Is there a reason I shouldn't do this and stick to something like YARPP?

I select some articles at the bottom myself. I believe that's better than random because you can show articles that dig deeper into the same subject. And put some of your more interesting ones as well, increasing the chance of an extra click.
I would guess random is better than nothing, but to me, it feels like a missed opportunity.

I, too, switched from using random ones to self-selected and static ones. Largely because I could interweave more topically related posts even when there weren't chances in the content to do it, and also because I'd much rather it be static than randomized so Google isn't constantly recalculating page rank flows and relevancy signals and all that.

I'd much rather it be static than randomized so Google isn't constantly recalculating page rank flows and relevancy signals and all that.
That's what I've been thinking as well. Thanks.

Back