Quick Look for Windows

Trooto

BuSo Pro
Degree
I've never much liked Macs, but one thing that I did love was the Quick Look feature. You just select something in Finder, hit the spacebar and up pops a preview of your image or video.

I discovered a programme called Seer which does exactly the same in Windows, and you can find it here - Seer.

There's a free version, but I'm not sure what the limitations are as I've had the paid version for so long.

I use the "quick look" feature nonstop. It's called Spotlight on a Mac and there's other versions like Quicksilver, but the Spotlight works good enough, especially if you limit what gets indexed and searchable.

I tear mine down so that the only thing that shows up is Applications. I keep my most frequently used on the dock, the rest can be grabbed quickly with Spotlight (I don't like the Launchpad screen, you have to hunt for the app among all the others). If I need to find a file that I can't find I'll pop open a Finder search instead, so Spotlight stays clean.

This is definitely a time saving feature to be using. All of those 3 and 5 seconds add up over the years.

I use the "quick look" feature nonstop. It's called Spotlight on a Mac and there's other versions like Quicksilver, but the Spotlight works good enough, especially if you limit what gets indexed and searchable.

I tear mine down so that the only thing that shows up is Applications. I keep my most frequently used on the dock, the rest can be grabbed quickly with Spotlight (I don't like the Launchpad screen, you have to hunt for the app among all the others). If I need to find a file that I can't find I'll pop open a Finder search instead, so Spotlight stays clean.

This is definitely a time saving feature to be using. All of those 3 and 5 seconds add up over the years.
I think Spotlight is different from Quick Look, Spotlight is where you hit Command + Space and search for apps and files.

Quick Look is where you select an image or PDF in Finder and hit Space, pops it up in a small window that you can dismiss with Escape.

I just switched to Mac and these features are already game changing.

@cactus, you're right. I read the entire OP and somehow my mind just said "Spotlight" instead. I use Quick Look all the time, too. Much better than opening full apps for a 5 second ordeal.

This is probably what I use the most. It's also great if you hit the spacebar, and hit arrow up/down and it will swap the file. I.e. when going over expenses in a folder, you can skim through them really quick, or when deleting photos from camera roll.

Back