[Question] How to sell leads?

Dani

Money.Power.Glory.
Degree
Dear Builders,

I'm currently building a side business renting out first page video rankings to small businesses.

The rankings aren't the problem since I'm targeting low-competition local keywords and after the video is done it ranks instantly (or not).

giphy.gif

(**wirecast method**)
However, how should I sell/rent these spots. I tried calling and mailing the respective business owners but they said no, thanks.

Is it my pitch? It's quite basic and salesy:

Hello, I have a video for the word keyword + city on the first page of google. Do you want to rent this spot?

It's not even that pricey. Do you guys have an idea how I could optimize this and get the business owners to say yes. Now, back to the phone trying to get them.

Thanks,
Dani

Do you have the stats on numbers of calls generated, numbers of clickthroughs to website etc to share with them? The more meat you put on the bone the more likely they are to take a bite and all that sales waffle but it's true.

That pitch doesn't really sound very convincing, like what would the first page of Google mean for me as a business owner. I would need stats etc like Steve said ^

Track and send them few leads as a try out period and then work your magic to klose.

The Pitch should be something simple and to the point:

Hello, We are contacting few businesses in the area offering no cost free leads to one "industry name" and would like to know if you are interested?​

Also, if you could name drop their competitor name that they are interested to stir up things...

as said before stats would help, and then you have to start to think in wifm's (Whats in It For me), this is what everybody asks themselfs when making a buying decission.

A pitch might go something like:
Hi [business owner] the reason I am calling you today is to present you with an opportunity to signifacntly(only use significantly if you think it is significant) grow your business and increase your botom line,
(open ended questions that makes them give you information, that you can later utilize in your pitch should be asked right arround this point)
Now for only xx$ a month you have the rare opportunity to rent a video ad sport on a video that is ranking #1(or whatever the ranking is) for keyword + city, this keyword gets xxx amount of local searches per month in google, and even more so it is ranking #1(or whatever) in youtube.com as well, now as you probbaly know youtube is owened by google which means that when a video ranks hisgh on youtube it also ranks high in google, and the real beuty of this is that you get exposure in the two largest search engeens in the world.
now try to imagine if xxx amount of people see your ad when they have a problem and are searching for the solution that you offer, now think if you can turn just 2%(any % number will do here but it is best to keep it realistic yet low, but still high enough for it to matter) of those serchers into your custommers, what kind oof an impact woul that have on your business?
does that sound good to you?
can you see how it would bennifit your business?
great now the question is if you want to just sign up for a month to test it, or you want to go for the full pakkage of (6 month a year any time frame that you want).

on the last part of it you'll notice they are given the choice of two ways to seal the deal but not with an option to say no, now you can call it manipulative(sales is that) but there are a few factors in place with the questions you've asked you've (hopefuly) builded a yes ladder priming them to say yes to strike a deal with you, another thing is nobody likes to say no to others if they are not presented with the opportunity.

Now the pitch I just wrote was just off the top of my head and can surely be improved.

Also make a habbit of writing down ANY and ALL objections prospects may have, that way you can improve the pitch continually by adressing them before they even arise in the propects mind.

Also make a habbit of writing down ANY and ALL objections prospects may have, that way you can improve the pitch continually by adressing them before they even arise in the propects mind.

this is great

also your unique selling proposition can be something like "If you don't get leads I don't get paid" or a variation of. Free trial for a month with no strings attached could also put a nice start to a business relationship.

If you're calling a LOT of people too I'd consider marketing automation too. Say you follow @lion1978's advice and write down every objection. You can write articles about each one on your site and answer it on the call, naturally BUT if you don't close say 'I'll send you some more information to take a look at on that question' and send the e-mail through your marketing automation platform with follow up articles/info set up.

I'd give Mautic a try - free for up to 2,500 and very flexible (thanks to whomever recommended it on here, I forget).

You can categorise everyone by query type/region so you can turn off regions you already sold etc and keep sending more info to people in regions you're still 'open' in. When people are engaging a lot with your content you'll know (through scoring) so you'll only use up time following up the most interested/engaged people. Just an idea - not sure how many you're ringing but if your 'first touch' conversion is low, getting them into some kind of ongoing funnel where you send them further answers/objection handlers, case studies about your successful customers etc etc can be a great way to convert them later.

"If you don't get leads I don't get paid"

I would try to stay away from no pay no cure with this method unles ofcourse you set up tracking number and link, and then you'd still have to hope people don't just type in the company's url.

Free trial for a month with no strings attached

It's definatly a good deal closer, couse who wants to say no to free right, and you can even potentially up the price to make the free trial seem even better.

and the company's I'd be targeting if it was me would be those who are spending money on adwords already, if there is any, you already know they are willing to pay for traffic/leads and if all else fails you can just monetize the vids with adsense which might even be more expensive to them than buying direct through you.

I would try to stay away from no pay no cure with this method unles ofcourse you set up tracking number and link, and then you'd still have to hope people don't just type in the company's url.

It's definatly a good deal closer, couse who wants to say no to free right, and you can even potentially up the price to make the free trial seem even better.

and the company's I'd be targeting if it was me would be those who are spending money on adwords already, if there is any, you already know they are willing to pay for traffic/leads and if all else fails you can just monetize the vids with adsense which might even be more expensive to them than buying direct through you.
This.

Also, he could reach out to local businesses who are already paying for services like HomeAdvisor, etc.

I have a local site which generate leads.

I rent the site out to a local service provider and direct all emails and phone calls to him for a monthly fee.

I set up the sale by offering him a 3 week trail. I use a service by TTNC here in the UK "call whisper" which redirects the call and before the customer is connected I play a message to say the call has come from my website.

After the 3 week trail is was pretty easy to negotiate a price. I believe though I am under charging him. £200/month for approximately 200 calls. He probably gets around 30% of this number as paying customers and each job is worth £30 so that equates to around £2000 per month.

You have to have stats to help close the deal - TTNC offers call duration and call volume. Anything under 30 seconds I do not count as a lead. These stats and armed with the website visitor log help with the close.

First time I tried it (with another provider) we agreed on a price when the 1st month was up he did not pay! Tried to rank a site himself but failed. I lost out on this. Target genuine good business owners. Don;t deal with riff raff.

Edit: Approach the business owner in person not on the phone. Another way to get hold of a decent business is to check your local BNI chapters members list. These guys are getting up early (6am) once a week to generate referrals. If you approach someone from BNI locally and use the term "I can generate you referrals" they will likely try out your lead source.

Go along to the BNI chapter as a visitor - that's probably the easiest way to approach the business. At the BNI meeting you can tell everyone what you do and ask as your specific the business you want to speak to. Very straight forward :smile:

You can find your local BNI chapter here (assuming your in the US) http://www.bniamerica.com/en-us/findachapter

Each chapter has a unique website and one the website there are a list of the businesses that are members who meet weekly. They will want you to join when you visit but you are allowed 2 visits per chapter as a visitor. I'd suggest going to all the local chapters in your area and target the businesses you want to speak to at each. Play them off aginst each other.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate it.
I'll start to implement them in my sales tactics and report back when there's success!

giphy.gif

Providing stats is not really possible because the workflow would be something like this:

qxVpwTJ.jpg
It's quick & dirty, really. Since the plan is to build a bankroll with it which flows in my main project.
So it makes the most sense to me to offer a testing phase!

I was so instantprofit focused that I disregarded this option completely. Will report back!​

Instead of jumping from niche to niche - I decided to focus down on one promising vertical. Naturally, I spend the last few days searching for a good vertical to start the lead gen in and I found it.

Hint:
giphy.gif

This vertical has it's high competition parts but also some with low competition. So I'll work myself up from there. Do you know how much a fucking wedding costs. :cool:

I'll will create the content in the next step.

Back