Question for those who run a large facebook page/community

Sutra

Investor and Business Mentor
BuSo Pro
Degree
From time to time I get facebook fans posting things in the sidebar to promote their own stuff. I've deleted any self-promotion posts thus far.

But today a fan posted a message with a link back to his blog that has some interesting info.

On one hand I feel like, "Hell yeah man, post your shit. You're a part of this community so I want you to share your stuff and rise up".

On the other hand I feel, "Hell no, fuck you dude. I've spent all this time and money to build this page and you're gonna try to promote your own stuff? Gtfo."

I also don't want to set a precedent where people start constantly spamming their shit on the board instead of actual engaging stuff and their personal experiences. But I DO want them to be involved and feel appreciated.

How do you handle this type of thing on your page?

In my experience it just depends on the kind of member it is. If you have seen them sincerely being someone who joined to be apart of the community and not just there to promote their crap then it's cool. Anything else you can just make it so only they can see it but no one else can (with FB).

It depends too if it's directly competitive. If it's non-direct you could even leverage that relationship so it benefits you.

There's a setting where you can prevent visitors from posting to your page, but it sounds like you still want useful posts to show up. You can also set it so that you can moderate them first.

I manage a bunch of pages so I can't really strictly moderate all of them, and in the grand scheme of things it's a drop in a bucket, but if I see some blatant spam comments etc I'll take a second to delete/ban for sure.

If someone else is allowed to post on the main section (not just the sidebar visitor panel) does that go out to your fans? if it does, it seems like a good way to hurt your edgerank. Anyone know?

If someone else is allowed to post on the main section (not just the sidebar visitor panel) does that go out to your fans? if it does, it seems like a good way to hurt your edgerank. Anyone know?

It'll only show up on the little sidebar that people will only see if they're actually visiting your page. Someone would need to be an admin of your fanpage in order to send posts out to your fans.

Back