Question About Building Multiple Sites

Degree
Hello,

I've been blogging full-time for about a year and have built 6 sites so far. They are growing fairly slowly as I can only add 1 or 2 posts per week per site.

My idea is to grow these sites to such a level that I can outsource content creation but my income is only $300-$500 per month from Ezoic (I only use display ads).

In this situation, would it be better to focus on the biggest site for now and add 8-10 posts a week or continue as I'm doing and build all sites at once?

Ezoic pays little (RPM of about $8-10) and I would like to join Adthrive eventually. :smile:

PS: My biggest site has about 20K visitors per month, 90% from search engines.

I would focus on 1 site and I would let the other ones age.

And btw you can apply for Mediavine (50k per month) before AdThrive (100k)

It's very difficult to give each site the attention to detail it deserves in my experience, unless you work on each site at a time.

It's all the little things that makes a difference, that you will only spot if you work intensely on one site.

I try to solve this by working one week at the time for each site.

I would focus on 1 site and I would let the other ones age.

And btw you can apply for Mediavine (50k per month) before AdThrive (100k)
Thanks for your input

Yes I'm aware of Mediavine and will probably apply when I reach the 50K. :smile:

It's just that Adthrive allows other sites with just 30K pageviews. This is about half of the 50K sessions with Mediavine which is why I make Adthirve my main goal.

In this situation, would it be better to focus on the biggest site for now and add 8-10 posts a week or continue as I'm doing and build all sites at once?

If you have one tablespoon of butter (time), how many pieces of toast (sites) are you going to spread that across before you can even claim you put butter (time) on them?

People will tell you to diversify because it's safer. That's true, but you aren't supposed to diversify before you've succeeded. You do that afterwards, once your calculated risk has paid off.

And honestly, with SEO, you're much safer and likely going to win bigger with one site (until you have the means to handle more than one correctly), because: 1) your domain, age, and backlink profile will have cumulative and exponential effects the more you grow it, and 2) these types of sites experience far less volatility than an entire network of small sites will.

All the content and links shore up your defenses and make you the type of site Google wants to rank. You'll have fluctuations, but they'll represent a fraction of your revenue instead of completely crushing a handful of small sites all at once.

All the content and links shore up your defenses and make you the type of site Google wants to rank. You'll have fluctuations, but they'll represent a fraction of your revenue instead of completely crushing a handful of small sites all at once.

I don't know which dumb fuck gave newbies who haven't proven anything the idea that it is smart to launch so many sites at once. You have already failed a site if you are not working your ass off to get it off the ground.

No, your job is not done if you get your site to 10-20k pageviews. It has not even started. This is the time to scale your publishing and links to really capitalise on Google's fondness for your site.

Look at all the iNfLuEnCeRs you idolize like Jon Dykstra. They have 100x the resources you have but still their main site makes up 90% of the earnings in their pOrTfOliO. Now think about yourself with no money and limited time trying to make 7-8 sites succeed. Add competitors who have more links and topical authority into the mix and you don't stand a fucking chance.

You know who has a portfolio of mega sites that are thriving?

Media giants like dotdash.

They have hundreds of employees, millions to spend, and proprietary technology to supplement their efforts.

I am not saying you shouldn't dream big. You most certainly should. But for fucks' sake stop shooting yourself in the foot by spreading yourself too thin with no resources.

I know there is some guru on reddit or some forum that is making this multi-site newbie approach work but I can guarantee you that putting that focus and energy into a single site will make you more money.

Look at all the iNfLuEnCeRs you idolize like Jon Dykstra. They have 100x the resources you have but still their main site makes up 90% of the earnings in their pOrTfOliO. Now think about yourself with no money and limited time trying to make 7-8 sites succeed. Add competitors who have more links and topical authority into the mix and you don't stand a fucking chance.

You know who has a portfolio of mega sites that are thriving?

Media giants like dotdash.

They have hundreds of employees, millions to spend, and proprietary technology to supplement their efforts.

I am not saying you shouldn't dream big. You most certainly should. But for fucks' sake stop shooting yourself in the foot by spreading yourself too thin with no resources.

I know there is some guru on reddit or some forum that is making this multi-site newbie approach work but I can guarantee you that putting that focus and energy into a single site will make you more money.

First of all thanks for the answer, I appreciate it, and I agree that focusing on one site might be best for now.

Why do you bring up Jon Dykstra though? I know his main site and if that's the bar to earn up to $100K a month then it's pretty low. :smile:

It's all about consistency I guess...

PS: My biggest site has about 20K visitors per month, 90% from search engines.
I do not know your niche, but if you are 20K/mo visitors with 1 site, I would highly recommend you stick to this one for the next couple of months.

You probably are already around 23-24K per month in pageviews. Publishing 30 odd articles a month should help you hit 50K pageviews in no time at which point, you could move to Mediavine. Maybe use the income bump to outsource content to writers for your other websites.

First of well done. Most people make no money and just quit.

You seem a little stretched out with so many sites.

Honestly, you are making too little money to expand properly.

What I would do in your shoes, you obviously have some experience, you have time, but you lack money.

You could get hired as a website operator using your websites as proof you know what you are doing. Mushfiq from the website flip has some guides on this.

Back