Proper way to redirect an aged or expired domain?

Degree
I bought an expired domain with good backlinks a few days ago and I have redirected it to my main website. However, I'm not sure if I have done it correctly. It's a first time for me.

What I did was to set the URL redirect record from expired -> main website set to permanent (301). Is this correct?

... and this is how expired domains get Nerfed in 2 or 3 years...

But yeah you'd set it as 301. A 302 that's been there for several months ends up being treated as a 301 by google as well.

That sounds like a redirect at the registrar level, which makes me think you're doing a blanket 301 redirect. Either only homepage to homepage, or all pages to homepage. The latter means you're going to have a lot of "soft 404's" where links are being discounted and you're wasting your money. They started doing the whole soft 404 thing when lazy PBN builders would redirect everything to the homepage. It's a huge red flag waving and saying to Google "hey, I'm a lazy SEO doing something I shouldn't".

You need to be redirecting every page to a page on the destination site that matches in topic. That means you either need an existing target or you need to create one. We've beaten this horse to death on the forum so many times I'm not interested in explaining the technicalities of it again, or how to handle the tech to make it happen. That Crash Course day will bring you up to speed.

But I can tell you that you either do it right or you're wasting your money and time. This isn't a new method that Google hasn't already sewn up the loose edges around it. We've been using domains like this for over a decade, and Google has had plenty of time to sort out who's for real or not.

I managed to set everything per the guide. All that I'm left is to recreate the pages with the best links on my main site and redirect them

Back