Project Management Thread

Degree
I have tried a few of the major project management / note / organization / to-do systems...
  • Basecamp
  • Asana
  • Trello
  • oneNote
  • Evernote
  • Wunderlist
But haven't found one that really sticks. Maybe I'm trying to do too much with each one and not just using them for their strengths. Is anyone willing to share a peek into their process? I know it will vary based on what you do / if you have VAs or employees / clients / running your own projects vs running an agency.

If you're having success with any protect management systems or services please enlighten me (and anyone else who is struggling...)

Always start using or planing deadlines, and before that a backup time before those deadlines to make sure you don't have problems that cost you time and money. You may face problems all the way to your final destination (deadlines) you break your project to steps, Important ones , and less important ones. Divide them by importance and time consumption.

Programs would help you or in another word remind you of these steps you already planned, it depends on your organizing to those steps. Project management software are just a tracking tool.

I've used several, including Basecamp, Asana, Podio, and a few others I can't remember. Currently, I have my team using Asana, and it's working well for what we need. The primary things I focus on in a project management platform:
  • Task organization and assignment
  • Task dating / scheduling
  • Team member commenting and interaction
  • Attachment of files and supporting documents
  • Third party access (inviting clients if necessary)
So far, Asana has been working really well for us. You can organize tasks by client, schedule tasks, start discussions within those tasks, attach files or supporting documents to those tasks, easily assign them to users, etc. It works. Might not be the perfect PM system, but it does what most people need.

Another that I tried very briefly was Podio. I really liked the idea of that one, as the layout was similar to Facebook. Unfortunately at the time, I didn't have time to learn a new system, so I didn't stick with it. Last I saw of it, that one looked promising for certain uses, like having a greater level of communication and interaction with team members.

Additional to what @turbin3 said, you need a time management software for you group to track their performance and efficiency, I use Klokwork Team Console, to track my team work. You can find alternatives, to do this task which is the core element of Project management.

For software projects, redmine (http://www.redmine.org/) is pretty good. It has time tracking, a wiki, milestones and also hooks into git, svn and other source code management systems. It's not super flashy but it's pretty effective.

Back