Product Comparison

JasonSc

BuSo Pro
Degree
I'm about to start an authority site and I'm in the initial phases of doing some market research. From what I can see my target audience is into knowing the fine details of product. Also, while doing key word research I noticed there is some search volume (small) for product comparison. example: product model A vs product model B.

I want to provide a good user experience by being able to offer a comparison chart as well as rank for some of these lower level KW.

I'm looking to create something like this http://coffee-makers.homeowl.com/ The example is not exactly what I envisioned, but its the closest thing I have found. A visitor can filter down their search to price point, manufacture or other specifications (see left side bar) then compare the products in a chart form.

I'll admit, I'm not a programmer, and my world mostly revolves around WordPress. My end game is to sell this site in the next 24-36 months, so WordPress would be ideal, but I have believe there might be some issues with WordPress.
1. I can see my data base easily growing to 20K-30K products. With 20K products I could see this becoming a resource hog and drastically slowing down the page speed even a dedicated server.
2. Since the pages comparing product model A vs product model B would be dynamically created I would not ranking for those KWs (please correct me if I'm wrong)
3. The plugins/themes I have found are so far do not meet my needs/expectations or the code is more bloated then Microsoft Vista.
4. The theme is as visually appealing as a toddler's interpretation of the Mona Lisa in finger paints.

Does anyone have any recommendations of an off shelf software which give me something similar to the example provided above which provides an easy backend to add products but looks something like the sample above.

All of my searches have yielded limited results. Most of which are price comparison, which is not what I am looking to do.

If you have a fast enough server Drupal Commerce has one of the best filters out of the box. Use the Drupal Commerce Kickstart version and that should help you.

I know you said you're not a programmer but if you have shell access then install Drush. There are a lot of tutorials out there that will help you do it. Depending on your server, your hosting company should also be able to set it up and adding modules, updating, editing, etc is a breeze. Plus, Drupal is fully customizeable when you get to that level.

@propipper I spent a few minutes looking at Drupal Commerce. I do admit it looks good, but a little intimidating, but I'm sure I could figure it out.

I poked around a bit on the commerceguys demo. The thing I noticed its is their site doesn't create a URL which could be indexed (at least I think) when comparing 2 products. like: 123/com/producta-vs productb/

From my research there is some search volume for those A vs B terms. Its not enough to manually build pages, but enough for me to see if there is a viable solution.

Back