Poker Thread

Good stuff.

In the USA - it's illegal to play online poker. I mean, I can sign up and fund an account....but getting a withdrawal is nearly impossible.

Do you know if there are any good sites or simulators to practice on? Most of the play money sites are just full of fish that go all-in on every hand. I'd like to be able to play against someone with a similar skillset as I'd find in a live game in Atlantic City.
I'm only pointing this out because it's a common misconception, but the bold is completely and totally untrue. There is no federal law against playing online poker, and the only federal law that affects the legality of online gambling makes sports betting illegal. I can expand on this if anyone would like.

With that having been said, some states do have laws that make certain types of online gambling illegal. The most ridiculous is Washington state where it's a felony on the same level as certain types of assault.

My understanding is that Americas Cardroom and Black Chip Poker (both on the Winning Poker Network) are the two best options for US players at this time.

Played professionally for a few years from 2006 - 2010. my main limit was NL400.

One of the best things I ever did for my game was signing up for a video coaching site.
http://www.deucescracked.com/ or http://cardrunners.com/ were pretty good back in the day.

Cool vid (part one):
I personally think the first edition of Busto to Robusto with Captain Zeebo is more interesting. I played 1/2 and 2/4 full-ring on Stars from 2007-2009 or so, so we may have played together.

I personally think the first edition of Busto to Robusto with Captain Zeebo is more interesting. I played 1/2 and 2/4 full-ring on Stars from 2007-2009 or so, so we may have played together.
Agreed. I was thinking of watching Bet Raise Fold (it's from the same director of Busto to Robusto) the other day - for the nostalgia feels :smile: . Is there a chance you have seen it? If yes is it worthwhile?
I don't think we have met, I only played 6max.

I'm only pointing this out because it's a common misconception, but the bold is completely and totally untrue. There is no federal law against playing online poker, and the only federal law that affects the legality of online gambling makes sports betting illegal. I can expand on this if anyone would like.

With that having been said, some states do have laws that make certain types of online gambling illegal. The most ridiculous is Washington state where it's a felony on the same level as certain types of assault.

My understanding is that Americas Cardroom and Black Chip Poker (both on the Winning Poker Network) are the two best options for US players at this time.

Yeah - that's what I've learned since getting into all this over the last month or so.

Can you elaborate on the best way to deposit and, more importantly, withdraw funds from the rooms you just suggested? Is it OK to use a debit card - or should we be using prepaid credit cards?

With the cash game, I was much more comfortable. I walked away up $250 for the trip. As expected, my biggest hurdles were dealing with large pre-flop bets when I'm holding a marginally good hand.... and how I should be betting post flop when I wanted to either protect my hand, or deal with a large post-flop raise ahead of me.

I guess I gotta go to AC more often...

Looks like you should, and just remember in tournaments you have to play a little more loose than in a cash game, otherwise you will be destroyed by the increasing blinds, it's all about finding the levle that's right for you.

one thing I ALWAYS do when I play live is to study my opponents as they view thir cards and look for the tells, there are some micro tells that are human nature and therefore almost impossible to hide but only almost.

one of the best books I ever read about tells, isn't a poker book but a book about interigation techniques and tells, I can see if I have it somewhere on my computer if you want.

Yeah - that's what I've learned since getting into all this over the last month or so.

Can you elaborate on the best way to deposit and, more importantly, withdraw funds from the rooms you just suggested? Is it OK to use a debit card - or should we be using prepaid credit cards?
I know a number of Americas who play there regularly, and they tell me that prepaid cards or the "money transfer" option for deposits and the "money transfer" option for withdrawals are the best options right now. If you get a prepaid card, make sure that it's good for international purchases.

The "money transfer" option will depend on where you live, but it's normally just something like MoneyGram at Walmart or a gas station that's similar to Western Union. I've made deposits and withdrawals with this option myself, and the biggest piece of personal advice I could give would be to contact support before using this option. They'll give you really straight-forward instructions and more or less hold your hand through the process.

Played 2005-2010. Payed for college, a year of travel. Coached, invested in, and played NL holdem. Quit April 27 2010 after luckboxing a super turbo tournament for 1st (I only ever played cash).

Back