Personal development/self-improvement niche

Degree
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask if any has had any experience/success in the personal development/self-improvement niche?

I'm aware that lower RPMs might be a consideration compared to niches with higher buyer intent. That said, if creating a brand/authority site, in addition to ad revenue, it seems like there would be a significant opportunity to offer other products and services e.g. coaching, online courses etc.

I realise it might have to be niched down to a specific problem/audience to gain traction, but could perhaps be diversified over time...

Does anyone have any experience/advice on personal development/self-improvement as a potential niche?

Also, I should probably add - the reason for asking this is that I started a somewhat multi-topic personal website a few years ago that pulls in a bit of traffic (some of which is personal development related), and I'm wondering whether to reposition this site and push it hard vs starting a site in another (potentially more profitable) niche.

I suppose the other thing to add is that I really like personal development and would definitely enjoy writing about it and could see that creating a legitimate brand/products/services around it could be fun. That said, it would also be great to know that it has the potential for financial return.

It’s one of the biggest niches with the biggest product line ups to ever exist. Tony Robbins gets entire amphitheaters filled and people fly to Hawaii to walk on lava stones and Oprah has her own friggin TV network.

Even if we're just talking online, Steve Pavlina used to do some crazy number (I want to say $300k) per month on Adsense before he collected enough haters that kept click-bombing the ads on his site that they banned him. And that's Adsense, without all his courses and guides.

Of course it's a huge niche with huge return. Have you ever been in a book store that didn't have an entire personal development section? Even this very forum has the Garden section for this type of thing. It's everywhere and people consume endless amounts of these topics in the form of TV, movies, books, magazines, audiobooks, podcasts, image macros, quotes... we could go on forever.

Thanks for the reply. Really value your input and you're completely right. Think I just keep second-guessing what to focus on and continuously suffer from shiny object syndrome, thinking a) there might be a better niche and b) I would be diversifying risk by starting other sites. But I think I'll commit to this one site (which I'm definitely passionate about) and hopefully make it work!

Back