Payment Processor - Stripe for Non-US residents

Degree
Hi everyone.

I am struggling to find a payment processor for US visitors for my website because my country is not supported by Stripe.

They told me I need to open an LLC in Delaware if I want to proceed which sounds like bi pain in the ass. I even don't know what would be my obligations considering IRS and taxes.

To open a Stripe account I would need the SSN number of someone living in the US or EU. And I just don't have anyone.

Do you guys have some idea how the fuck I get Stripe for my website when I'm not a US or EU citizen?

Or, if someone opened an LLC in the UK or the US as a non-resident, I would love to hear what would be my obligations etc.

If this is a beginner question, I don't mind it moving to that newbie thread.

Open an llc in Delaware.
Good courts, Good laws.
They're pushing you to make the right move and they're a great processor.

Is there a reason you're not using Paypal? They can take cards.

What type of site are we talking about? Something with a checkout cart like ecommerce?

Shopify has a payment API that you can use if you can code it.

@secretagentdad

What are the taxes I have to pay? Since my visitors will be from US I would have to pay taxes on US based income, which is not perfect. What would be my obligations, is it a pain in the ass?

@Future State
I'm not sure how much US audience appreciates Paypal and not being able to pay with cards.

It's an ecommerce website with a third-party fulfillment center.

I think I will enable just paypal until I get my first sales and then maybe open LLC in Delaware or UK.

I'm not sure how much US audience appreciates Paypal and not being able to pay with cards.

Paypal accepts cards. You can have buttons that pop up card modals, you can send invoices that have links that send them to pay with a card, and I'm sure there's probably an API to accept cards in your own setup too.

What are the taxes I have to pay? Since my visitors will be from US I would have to pay taxes on US based income, which is not perfect. What would be my obligations, is it a pain in the ass?
No taxes.

If you own a sole proprietor LLC in USA, it's like offshore in the eyes of US tax departments. The income tax obligations are being transferring on you personally then and they expect you to pay them in your tax residency country. You only pay taxes in US for inventory sold in US.

Provide service to US clients - no taxes in US
Sell inventory to US buyers - YES taxes in US
Provide service to worldwide clients outside US - no taxes in US
Sell inventory to worldwide buyers outside US - no taxes in US

Also, Wyoming fits for such company much better than Delaware. Delaware is more for startups with plans for financing, stocks, sale etc. https://formanllcfast.com/Starting-a-Company/New-Mexico-vs-Wyoming-Nevada-and-Delaware-LLC

And it's dirty cheap, compared with traditional offshores, you can get your LLC registered for like $100-200. (Of course there are some costs later like reports etc etc, but it's like in any other country).

DISCLAIMER: I'm neither a lawyer nor an accountant, and i've newer yet been to US. I'm just going through this process myself right now, after hours of consulting with US tax advisers and after days of solid research thru the internet.

Paypal accepts cards. You can have buttons that pop up card modals, you can send invoices that have links that send them to pay with a card, and I'm sure there's probably an API to accept cards in your own setup too.

Unfortunately guys, PayPal doesn't support this option for my country.

No taxes.

If you own a sole proprietor LLC in USA, it's like offshore in the eyes of US tax departments. The income tax obligations are being transferring on you personally then and they expect you to pay them in your tax residency country. You only pay taxes in US for inventory sold in US.

Provide service to US clients - no taxes in US
Sell inventory to US buyers - YES taxes in US
Provide service to worldwide clients outside US - no taxes in US
Sell inventory to worldwide buyers outside US - no taxes in US

Just be sure that I understood you right.

So basically, let's say I open a sole proprietor LLC in USA, Deleware, or Wyoming. And I have an online eCommerce store with inventory stored in the US and lets say I'm selling my products usually to US citizens (visitors from the US), this means that I would have to pay taxes in the US?

I'm very grateful for this information because there are tons of misleading articles on the internet and Facebook groups.

My other options are 2checkouts and Bluesnap, both of those declined me to be payment gateway.

Fiver Stripe offers also seem tempting but you can never be sure about it.

I guess I will have to start with Paypal only and then when I start selling I will consider opening an LLC in USA or even UK.

For $500 setup fee Stripe literally does all the work for you: Stripe Atlas

You also might want to check out if the country you're are residing in has cfc-laws before setting up a foreign company. If so, the company will most likely be treated the same like a domestic company (same taxes, accounting, etc.).

Just be sure that I understood you right.

So basically, let's say I open a sole proprietor LLC in USA, Deleware, or Wyoming. And I have an online eCommerce store with inventory stored in the US and lets say I'm selling my products usually to US citizens (visitors from the US), this means that I would have to pay taxes in the US?

I'm very grateful for this information because there are tons of misleading articles on the internet and Facebook groups.
Why won't you book a consultation from a practicing US tax adviser? I shared with you some info i gathered, including ones from such licensed advisers, but for you i'm just another stranger from internet. And sure all these articles and info may be contradictory and confusing as hell. Yes and those tax advisers may give different answers, especially in this part of selling inventory in US, and probably those advisers that actively promote themselves are not necessarily the best experts in reality, but having their advice on paper you just choose one and stick to it, and then you have someone to sue in case of anything. But strangers from internet you can not sue.

_____

@Magister one of the best analyses on the topic that i've seen in my searches: https://www.junglescout.com/blog/tax-legal-structure-for-amazon-sellers/

Still, i can't vouch for this being 100% right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone.

I am struggling to find a payment processor for US visitors for my website because my country is not supported by Stripe.

They told me I need to open an LLC in Delaware if I want to proceed which sounds like bi pain in the ass. I even don't know what would be my obligations considering IRS and taxes.

To open a Stripe account I would need the SSN number of someone living in the US or EU. And I just don't have anyone.

Do you guys have some idea how the fuck I get Stripe for my website when I'm not a US or EU citizen?

Or, if someone opened an LLC in the UK or the US as a non-resident, I would love to hear what would be my obligations etc.

If this is a beginner question, I don't mind it moving to that newbie thread.
You can start a LLC in Delaware. You just need to pay a registered agent who can receive all your mail and legal documents.

Stripe Atlas : Bad choice, California LLC (you are obligated to pay tax even if you're a non resident alien)

Wyoming LLC: Good for small businesses https://wyobiz.wyo.gov/Business/RegistrationInstr.aspx

Delaware LLC: Good for large corporations specifically "Hedge funds".

UK LTD: Good for financial businesses, if you don't live or have any relatives in the UK, no trade or income, then you have almost zero tax to pay. https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad

Hong Kong LTD: I don't know much about it, still you need to take a flight there and it will cost a bit of money minimum 1,5k.

Last edited:
What are the taxes I have to pay? Since my visitors will be from the US, I would have to pay taxes on US-based income, which is not perfect. What would be my obligations? Is it a pain in the ass?

You should check if your country is listed here: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/international-businesses/united-states-income-tax-treaties-a-to-z.

I am with the US Stripe account, but my country is on the list. I should pay in USA business income + personal tax (you need ITIN, something like SSN, but for non-resident people), but not in my country. Delaware has a $300 yearly state tax. Also, Stripe charges $100 per year for your agent in Delaware. Not is the best option for LLC, but for US payment processor is the easy choice right now.

Back