Pages literally dissapearing after google core update

Try checking overoptimization with keywords and turning question headers into statements/rewording.

There are more knowledgeable people here who have better insights though.

My pages that dissappear eventually seem to bounce back stronger, several seem to rank better than before.

I have no idea what's going on, but it seems possible that my theory about "offline calculation" could be correct. Page taken off and the serp is analyzed without it and then it's reinserted perhaps.

Is what's going on basically that there's an "indexing budget" for each site? A budget for how many pages rank in the main index and the rest get sent to the supplementary?

Sure seems that way.

I have a small site launched in October that has been struggling to get ranking, despite virtually no competition.

I finally managed to get some pages ranking recently and they jumped from nothing to top 5. Then I kept resubmitting the other pages and one url jumped to 1st position, but then the other two urls fell off the map.

Very strange. Would make sense if Google is severely throttling their indexing allotment.

More than one person I know has talked about video embeds making pages fall out of the SERPs and after removal of the video having a recovery. I’m just testing this myself now on a few projects.
Did it work for you?

Bw, another alternative is to write another new article on same topic. It can be done if the page is very important.

Back