Orphaned Page Dilemma

Degree
I was going through search console and saw that one of our sites has numerous orphaned pdf files that are not only indexed in Google but have links pointing to them and are getting a good deal of clicks. One, in particular, was a pdf for an opt-in lead magnet of the '7 Deadly Errors Report' ilk. The content was good and we got a ton of downloads we just found that the traffic didn't convert so we took it down. Actually we only took down the opt-in form and the CTA banners but the pdf lived on.

This lead magnet was designed to promote one of our products and the interesting thing is that the pdf gets more impressions and clicks than the actual page of the product.

previous 12 months
pdf file: 232k impressions 9,000 clicks
Product page: 107k impressions 3,900 clicks

The PDF not only wins the click battle, but it also has a nice link profile.

I am thinking of two courses of action...

Option 1: 301 the pdf to the product page

Option 2: Create a new page on the site that matches the intent and content of the pdf report and 301 the pdf file to the new page and then link the new page to the existing product page. My thought here is as a page it will continue to be a linkable asset as well as be good supporting content for the product page.

Any thoughts if one approach or another is better (or one that I haven't thought of) would be greatly appreciated.

Option 2 seems much better to me. But leave the pdf itself and link to it from the new page, so that visitors who come for this pdf eventually get what they want.

I'd say that, since it's gaining natural links as a linkable asset, you don't want to just get rid of it by 301-ing the PDF to the product page. The intent is not the same and you lose a linkable asset.

You could simply take the text out of the PDF and publish it on a normal URL and 301 to that. I think that's what you're saying. But then there's the question of whether or not the users want access to a PDF version, which you'd still be removing. You don't really gain anything from this other than losing out on a chance to place ads on the page. Because you can always edit the PDF to include hyperlinks to funnel traffic to the product page.

I doubt people want the PDF (as in the format), but rather they're seeking the information contained in it. If it's original content I'd probably publish it as a "page", 301 the PDF file to it, and then monetize it either directly or funnel traffic to my product page. Mainly because I'd rather have people on my site further clicking around than on a PDF where 99.99% are going to bounce.

@Ryuzaki, I think we are on the same page here. I believe people just want the info. The PDF was the delivery method originally used because the lead magnet was sold as a 'Get your download'. A web page will deliver the info just as effectively and allow me to update and expand on the original content.

Thanks for confirmation on this!

I'd probably publish it as a "page", 301 the PDF file to it, and then monetize it either directly or funnel traffic to my product page.

Back