Organizing your day by focus and not time

Degree
I was listening to this med school YouTuber and he talked about organizing one’s day by focus and not time. I thought it was interesting so I tried it out. Duh. It makes perfect sense. You do stuff when you have the energy and focus and put stuff in that time slot. When you’re lethargic and unfocused you just do something easier.

for me mornings are good and light. I try to knock out as much stuff then. Midday is for working out and eating followed by some work. Night is for reading and relaxing.

I only have 6 good hours of focus in a day IMO and it is split into two three hour chunks. Best to put all important things that require the most focus there.

WBU?

It makes perfect sense only if you’re looking for a justification to be lazy.

Modern man is crippled by luxury and leisure. Laziness is no longer punished by death. Not too long ago, you’d starve to death waiting to “feel” like tending your garden. Or you’d freeze to death waiting to “feel” like gathering and chopping your fire wood.

This ideology surrenders your humanity to the whims of your emotions. A man should do what is necessary regardless of how he feels. Anything less is death.

It makes perfect sense only if you’re looking for a justification to be lazy.

Modern man is crippled by luxury and leisure. Laziness is no longer punished by death. Not too long ago, you’d starve to death waiting to “feel” like tending your garden. Or you’d freeze to death waiting to “feel” like gathering and chopping your fire wood.

This ideology surrenders your humanity to the whims of your emotions. A man should do what is necessary regardless of how he feels. Anything less is death.
You force yourself to work even when you no longer feel like working. I’m against this because Parkinson’s law, which is not a law but a saying, says that work expands to fill the time available for its completion. Forcing yourself to do a task in 4 hours will result in the task taking 4 hours. Giving yourself only 30 minutes to solve a task during your peak time of the day will force you to solve it in 30 minutes.
The mentality of “working” for so many hours to get something done is cultural due to pay being tied to hours on the job. It doesn’t mean results are linear and are based upon hours working. I think Tim Ferris also talked about this in 4hww. Something about 20/80 rule.
but yeah man. You tough

Your ancestors would be DISGUSTED if they could see that you are trying to organize and optimize your schedule in a way that fits when you're most productive for certain types of tasks.

It took billions of years (if you believe in that nonsense), trillions of particles of star dust (if you believe in that nonsense), just so that you could be here right now...

Sitting in your comfy little home...
Typing at your comfy little desk...
With your uncalloused little hands...

Asking other men if they have any cute little tricks on how to make things easier?

If I made a thread, I'd be asking how to make things more challenging. Give me the most difficult schedule. Give me the least optimized plan for my day.

Mornings are for SHUTTING THE FUCK UP AND GETTING SHIT DONE.
Midday is for SHUTTING THE FUCK UP AND GETTING SHIT DONE.
Evenings are for SHUTTING THE FUCK UP AND GETTING SHIT DONE.

You should be embarrassed.

Bit extreme.

IMO the right answer is a balance of both worlds. Yes, discipline matters above all else, and waiting until you "feel" like doing something would turn anyone into a fat, poor, lazy mess.

At the same time, we're not machines. Thinking you should be 100% productive all of the time is a losing mindset (not to mention a sad one). You're risking burnout, feeling like shit, and being less productive than if you just balanced things out.

The answer is to create a schedule based on what works best for you, and stick to that.

I do my best work early in the morning, so I make myself get up early - regardless of how I feel - grab a coffee and get to work. But I also know that around 12-3 I start running out of steam and get serious brainfog. So that's when I go outdoors/lift weights, eat, and take a nap. Afterwards, I've got my focus back to keep going for the rest of the day.

I'm far more productive doing that than working a 9-5, and especially more productive than trying to just work 24/7 like @Potatoe says.

Understand how you work best. Make a schedule that helps you get the most out of each day. Then stick with it, regardless of how you feel.

Your ancestors would be DISGUSTED if they could see that you are trying to organize and optimize your schedule in a way that fits when you're most productive for certain types of tasks.

It took billions of years (if you believe in that nonsense), trillions of particles of star dust (if you believe in that nonsense), just so that you could be here right now...

Sitting in your comfy little home...
Typing at your comfy little desk...
With your uncalloused little hands...

Asking other men if they have any cute little tricks on how to make things easier?

If I made a thread, I'd be asking how to make things more challenging. Give me the most difficult schedule. Give me the least optimized plan for my day.

I sincerely hope you‘re trolling. This was actually embarrassing to read. Sorry, but I can‘t take you seriously, if you meant what you said.

See you in 3 years in the burn out clinic. Alone, with nothing to show for.

I also can't tell if @Potatoe is trolling or if that is seriously his mentality. I've been in companies where the management do act like that and no one likes working there. If he is kidding, his joke could be rewritten to be better. If he is serious, he really has issues from the past.

... anyways...
At the same time, we're not machines. Thinking you should be 100% productive all of the time is a losing mindset (not to mention a sad one). You're risking burnout, feeling like shit, and being less productive than if you just balanced things out.

I totally agree. I found out that I need to have my mind, body, and social life in order to work and function properly. No social support? you can't do shit. Your mind is filled with disturbing thought like someone yelling "I'll kill you" daily? Yup, you're crazy and need to get that shit taken cared of before you can move on with life. Your body is lethargic, tense, and sick? Yeah, your brain is going to be lazy, ridged, and ill. I've been doing yoga for a year now as well as dance and feel SOOO much better afterwards. I feel recharge, energised, and invigorated. Plus, all the women there are sexy as fuck. Especially dance, you get to try a new women every song lol

Like what Steven Covey said in 7 habits, the 7th habit is sharpening the saw. For him, it was family time and church (I think). For me, it is yoga, dance, working out, meditation, journaling, and connecting with old friends and loved ones. This is how I have fuel to work and this is my motivation to get work done. Before, when I had nothing to do, I can take a whole day on a task as I was escaping with work. Now, I need to get it done to go to dance class in 30 minutes!!! for example :smile:

I'm not sure where anyone or everyone thought this was about being lazy....

lol

I've done something similar to this for about 2 decades now.

The goal is to have focus, not be lazy.

If you are in in tune with yourself, you probably have already figured out if you are a morning person or an evening person. Personally, I'm a night owl, but that doesn't mean Im lazy or doing nothing in the morning.

My energy is just at late night. Which also means my focus/concentration is later at night.

So far my important tasks, stuff that needs attention to detail... Im doing that at night.

Other things, that are lower priority but need to be done.. I can do those in the morning and mid-day. Because these are things that aren't critical and don't need a lot of energy.

Back