One Article for All Long-Tails or Separate Articles?

Degree
So I have this competitor who ranks for a keyword that I wanna rank for. For example, "can pregnant women drink Budweiser?" What is the best approach to tackling that article?

A. Is it writing a better can pregnant women drink Budweiser with multiple sub-headings targeting the long tails like Budweiser magnum, light etc."
OR
B. Writing a dedicated article for each longtail and taking it out of their bigger article?

Currently, I am planning to write the bigger one and then build out the smaller long-tail subheadings as separate articles and then interlinking them and linking up to the bigger page and see what gains traction.
But I worry about cannibalization, and maybe similar content that might indicate plagiarism?

I have a higher DR than that domain. The page has no links but has a little age on it.

So I have this competitor who ranks for a keyword that I wanna rank for. For example, "can pregnant women drink Budweiser?" What is the best approach to tackling that article?

A. Is it writing a better can pregnant women drink Budweiser with multiple sub-headings targeting the long tails like Budweiser magnum, light etc."
OR
B. Writing a dedicated article for each longtail and taking it out of their bigger article?

Currently, I am planning to write the bigger one and then build out the smaller long-tail subheadings as separate articles and then interlinking them and linking up to the bigger page and see what gains traction.
But I worry about cannibalization, and maybe similar content that might indicate plagiarism?

I have a higher DR than that domain. The page has no links but has a little age on it.

I think this depends on how big a keyword we're talking about here.

Your method is sound, which is, write on longer article about the topic, getting around everything, but leaving some of the details for each subset. Think about Wikipedia, without the academic language.

Then write content for each of the subheadings of the main article, interlinking both.

However, if the keyword is not getting a lot of traffic, then you're better off, just writing one major article, which has everything in one article, because those individual smaller articles, won't achieve much, while the longer article, will catch all, and then be more relevant for that particular keyword.

OR

I personally start with the smaller keywords (KGR), for the avalanche technique. Then combine them all in a bigger piece. It's easier how everything links together if you already have a firm grasp on all the smaller pieces (I need to do a lot of research).
If the content of the smaller keywords is too much to put in the bigger, I do only a portion and put a link.
Objectively it might be better to do what Bernard is saying.

Usually, when I'm writing the bigger piece I find some new angles that could be other articles.
I write those down to do keyword research on later.

Anyway, to answer your question, I would go for option B.

Your domain can rank for the same keyword multiple times. Catching the longtails is always a good idea. Optimize the pages specifically for the longtails, then link to the main piece.

If it makes sense sprinkle some of option A in there. Make a subheading that makes sense, explain it a little, and if they can get some extra valuable info from your longtail article, put a link (just don't link to all of them, just the most sensible ones). I would only do this if the extra info would take up way too much space on your page and take away from the essential message.

Don't forget that you can send them to the relevant section of the article so they don't have to look for it. www.yourdomain.com/longtailarticle#id-of-article-subsection
Above your the header in your longtail article put <a id="id-of-article-subsection"> </a>

(If you know all this, I hope somebody else finds it useful ;-) )

Back