Noob question about link building

Degree
I'm making a link building strategy to have a proper backlink profile on my new project, but I have a ton of doubts :tongue:

What I've been doing on my other projects, is to just go to Ahrefs, check my competition backlinks, get a list of the ones that I can actually get somehow without paying, whatever they are follow or no-follow, comments or whatever, selecting the non spammy ones and start working. Then I try to get other ones doing marketing, but on this case I have doubts about matching my competitors backlinks.

This niche is weird af, I decided to go with this one because quality is literally shit even on the biggest competitor, at least with the knowledge that I have. The "big" guy with the most traffic has the most quantity and most DR/UR backlinks, but I'm confused with the quality.

The first backlink on Ahrefs is a big WTF is that!!??, DR=90, UR=30, reference domains 100, 0 traffic, the anchor text is xxxvideos (I'm in a niche about tech, not related at all with that), and their homepage (the first two bigger competitor's websites, have their big "guide" on their homepage, and that's their best ranking page) is the link. Sounds like a joke, It's a foreign website, insanely looong website, but content is like 0,01% of the page, and the rest 99,99% are comments about random stuff on random languages, people are literally making huge comments like a blog post to just get backlinks on there, I've never seen that.
They have 4-6 links like that with their biggest backlink UR on similar websites, one doesn't even load the comments section anymore because it reached "maximum memory allowed". Then they have a few no-follow comments, some paid links on random websites, some are not even related to tech, and that's about it.
His biggest keyword is a 200k general one, and he is ranking like 3rd behind Amazon and another big local chain of stores.

I'm seeing other smaller competitors getting similar backlinks, on blogs with a bit of DR/UR, with do-follow comments, they make little descriptions about their websites and throw some links, one guy even goes wherever he can make a profile and literally make kind of a little article about his website on the "profile description" and drop a few links, on some websites it is do-follow somehow.

Should I copy this backlinks? Because they are clearly spammy, but does DR/UR make it worth it? Or should I just ignore those and go marketing with guest posts and all of that to get my own?

John Mueller said that they discount profile links now. They know those are user generated and should all be nofollow in the sense of "disregard".

The rest you described sound like auto-approve blog comments and trackbacks and other crap. Don't bother with those unless you want to be in bad link neighborhoods. They're created with software like Scrapebox, Sick Submitter, Xrumer, etc. It's about as nasty as spam gets. They spin articles and comments before posting them.

Blog comments and forums are good if they're moderated, even if the links are nofollow. Paid links are "bad" but can work. Guest posts are the high powered links (you don't want them to be labeled as guest posts or sponsored posts, though) as are any other contextual links you can attract. That's the stuff you really want.

The fact their site is a foreign (non-English) site is a huge indicator of why it's ranking. However if Google eventually cleans up the SERPs as aggressively as they do in English SERPs that site COULD drop IF there are no clean alternatives. How about you become the clean alternative?

Back