Newbie Questions About Copyright and Images

i have found one, hope u find it useful www.50photo.com

0N31lNO.gif

Some of us long suspected that @gasmonkeygarage is a very very VERY dedicated troll. But there wasn't any "concrete" evidence... until now.

Try just asking the owner of the photo for permission to use it. Expect a 20 to 30 percent success rate (at least for the niches I know) and just like asking for a link the better the email the higher the success rate. Can’t find the owner then just pick another image. You can even build a stock of images to use in the future this way.

Just don't steal from Getty Images, they are gung-ho about going after people.

Do they send you a take-down notice first or...what does happen if they find an image of theirs on your site.

What's the best way to find amateur photos like this one:

7pizza.jpg

Maybe I'm just not doing the right type of searches on google but I have a hard time finding pics like these.

Um hello ding dongs

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

They have an image for pretty much everything you could think of. You've just gotta give attribution for the images you use. This is great for things like pictures of celebrities, sporting events, etc. The quality isn't as good as the paid stockphoto sites (obviously) but they get the job done.

For everything else just use Pixabay. Here's a super dank hot tip for using Pixabay though - their internal search engine kinda sucks dick, so just use Google instead (site: pixabay.com "keyword"). You'll have a lot better luck finding what you need that way.

If I remember correctly Getty images actually allows free embeds as long as you reference them (putting Source: Getty near the image). I got it from this article a long time ago, not sure if it's still current policy though

If I remember correctly Getty images actually allows free embeds as long as you reference them (putting Source: Getty near the image). I got it from this article a long time ago, not sure if it's still current policy though

They want you to use their embed code:

"The new embeds are built on the same iframe code that lets you embed a tweet or a YouTube video, which means the company can use embeds to plant ads or collect user information. "We've certainly thought about it, whether it's data or it's advertising," Peters says, even if those features aren’t part of the initial rollout."

Just something to consider.

I've been using a combination of the Google image search trick, and Flickr, which has some surprisingly quality stuff with very friendly licenses.

One thing I always make sure to do before using an image is a reverse image search. If I see the image in any way connected to Getty, or a Getty subsidiary, like iStock, I won't use it.

I've considered using Getty embedded images, but their history of being vicious when it comes to legal issues, their fuzzy rules of use, and the fact that I'm having to embed their code containing God knows what on my site, has scared me off.

The quality and quantity of their image selection is so goddamn tempting, though . . .

I've almost strictly been using search.creativecommons to find stuff. granted the photos you have access too are generally not the "coolest" but they've been working for my newb blog.

(yay my first post)

I second this. Not the greatest photos (though some of what you find on Flickr through CC Search isn't bad), but at least the licensing is clear.

DA's stock section isn't bad either, depending on what you need. Licensing on the stock varies quite a bit though.

I've been using a combination of the Google image search trick, and Flickr, which has some surprisingly quality stuff with very friendly licenses.

One thing I always make sure to do before using an image is a reverse image search. If I see the image in any way connected to Getty, or a Getty subsidiary, like iStock, I won't use it.

I've considered using Getty embedded images, but their history of being vicious when it comes to legal issues, their fuzzy rules of use, and the fact that I'm having to embed their code containing God knows what on my site, has scared me off.

The quality and quantity of their image selection is so goddamn tempting, though . . .

I made the mistake once many years ago of using a WP plugin that would go out and automatically grab images that you could use in posts. Next thing I know - we get a nastygram from Getty. I now stay away from anything that isn't either explicitly spelled out as free or that we haven't paid a license for. Not worth the risk.

Does anyone ever received an email from this guys? https://copyright.higbeeassociates.com/resolution/auth/login

Back