Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

I am reviewing the Digital Strategy Crash Course and there is mention of AIDA (attn, interest, decision, action). So let me get this straight - the bulk of my website pages should be attention grabbing pages that lead to interest/decision pages (like reviews) that lead to action pages (affiliate product landing pages or order forms), right? So what are examples of Attention pages and the difference between those pages and interest pages? So is the first "clickbaitey", the second "informational" and the third and fourth "reviews" and "landing pages" linking deeper and deeper into the funnel from the Attn pages down to the Action page?

You don't have to follow that model to the letter but ideally, here is how it could be done:

Attention: "10 crazy hole in one golf swings"

Interest: "Tutorial: How to hit longer with better golf clubs"

Decision: "Best long range drive clubs"

Action: "In depth review and voucher code for Golf Club 1" or you can skip this and let the vendor do it.

That's my interpretation. In reality, a lot of people will have Decision (i.e. reviews) in an Interest article.

I have a few stupid questions myself, so let's get started.
  1. Is there any issue if I only use pages on my website? This will mean that I won't create any post whatsoever, regardless of the keyword I am targeting. Even though I don't see any cons to this approach, I believe that with time it may get cluttery.
  2. Do you find any issue in not having a comments section on the pages (at least at the very beginning of the website)?
  3. If I created all the pages but some don't have content yet, should I just no-index those until I add the content? Could my site be penalized for thin content if I don't no-index those pages and leave them be?
Thanks in advance!

@amru82, pages and posts both spit out HTML. There's no difference in what search engines or browsers see. That difference is only there for you. The main difference is that you won't be able to use any taxonomy like categories and tags, but you'll be able to use a parent-child relation ship (or sub-pages, whatever they call it). When you do that, the parent slug will appear in the child page slug like a category would for posts.

I don't use comments on my projects anymore, not of any type. Yes, they can for sure be a positive engagement signal for the search engines but I simply don't want to take the time to manage them and have 100x the amount in spam bloating up my database and writing to the server all the time. That's not good for high traffic sites. It sucks to give up a possible ranking factor, but it's not worth the time or resource usage for me.

Yes, you can fall under the "thin content penalty" or get hit by the Panda algorithm if you have a bunch of no-content pages in the index. You could simply not link to them until they're ready but then again Wordpress will hit Ping-o-matic and give Google a way to find them and/or your sitemap will include them. I'd either no-index them or just not publish them until they're ready.

There was a link shared here (cant find it), to a voice answering/international phone service thing, anyone know?

I'm searching for old dropped domains to fast forward things (using ahrefs). Which metrics should I consider the most? I have found some interesting domains with high authority niche backlinks but their domain/URL ranks are very low, like 0,8 or 2.

I'm searching for old dropped domains to fast forward things (using ahrefs). Which metrics should I consider the most? I have found some interesting domains with high authority niche backlinks but their domain/URL ranks are very low, like 0,8 or 2.

You should look for a high number of referring domains, check to see how many of those are spam, regular, or high quality links, check on the age of the domain, check on the history of it using the Wayback Machine, check to see if it's indexed using the site: operator and check to see if it's being inflated using the info: operator (a 301'd domain to it used to show there, seems like things have changed some).

It's mainly about link and age. Look for something at least a couple years old with as many referring domains as possible including high powered links.

There's a chance any of them could have penalties for any number of reasons. You can cut your losses on those or work to revive them. It's not too hard to fix manual penalties, especially if they aren't link related.

You should look for a high number of referring domains, check to see how many of those are spam, regular, or high quality links, check on the age of the domain, check on the history of it using the Wayback Machine, check to see if it's indexed using the site: operator and check to see if it's being inflated using the info: operator (a 301'd domain to it used to show there, seems like things have changed some).

It's mainly about link and age. Look for something at least a couple years old with as many referring domains as possible including high powered links.

There's a chance any of them could have penalties for any number of reasons. You can cut your losses on those or work to revive them. It's not too hard to fix manual penalties, especially if they aren't link related.

Thanks for your answer.

Domain I'm looking at has 440 backlinks from 38 domains, ~50% DF. Most of them are from blog comments (nofollow) or high DR(~70) forums and URL ranks are between 1 to 20. The guy was active in niche forums spreading some knowledge.

It has been active around 2013 and for the last 4 years no snapshots in Wayback machine. There are some content that I could recreate or 301 to money pages.
site:domain.com returns no results

Main keywords I'm after has difficulty between 2 to 9 (according to ahrefs). KWfinder shows 17 to 30 difficulty.

Should I go for it?

Has any noticed any changes to traffic leaking Facebook Groups since they've added new features? Harder? Easier? No difference?

I'm using a WordPress theme called Rehub. It has a nifty feature that lets you search Amazon from your site.

Is this something Amazon is fine with?

Rehub's a popular theme that's been endorsed by Amazon, so I'm guessing it is, but I thought I'd double check with the experts here.

Thanks.

I'm using a WordPress theme called Rehub. It has a nifty feature that lets you search Amazon from your site.

Is this something Amazon is fine with?

Rehub's a popular theme that's been endorsed by Amazon, so I'm guessing it is, but I thought I'd double check with the experts here.

Thanks.

The only way Amazon is fine with this is if they approved Rehub to build in API access. I'm assuming it shows the product, pulls the product image for you, and updates the price. That's done through the Amazon API. I'd assume the case is Amazon approved it or you'd be hearing of a ton of buyers complaining that they got banned.

Anyone care to share some links to a "linkbuilding methods and ideas 2018" blogposts other than the one on this forum.

I feel like a lot of people put the cart before the horse when building links. Rather than a method you should think of the other persons perspective.

Why should they link to you? Is your resource the best in this niche? Will their readers love your content? You need to make sure what you are requesting links to is the best resource or brings new value somehow.

I know it's a cliche, but it's so important to provide value. That's why things like the skyscraper method work well when they are done well.

As long as you are using the API it is OK by amazon. Plugins like AA WP use it to grab all the pricing data.

I have seen some truly beautiful niches sites built with Rehub. My next authority site is going to be using it.
Newspaper theme works pretty well also. One of my sites is using it and it's looking really professional.

I want to find some designers who can do odd illustrations, not infographics, but more in the style of Wikihow and simpler. I thought of Fiverr, but searching for "illustration" doesn't seem to give me the kind of results I want. Anyone can share their experience with this?

Noob question here for sure... looking into changing location manually in Chrome to view different local SERPs. Not working with the lattitude/longitude geolocation change. Bottom of SERP still shows my location from "Your Internet address". Using different IP works ofcourse but is that how everybody does it? Besides a paid tool? Or what is this noob missing

Noob question here for sure... looking into changing location manually in Chrome to view different local SERPs. Not working with the lattitude/longitude geolocation change. Bottom of SERP still shows my location from "Your Internet address". Using different IP works ofcourse but is that how everybody does it? Besides a paid tool? Or what is this noob missing
I just use a VPN. PrivateInternetAccess is my go to, but just make sure it has the locations you are looking for.

I just use a VPN. PrivateInternetAccess is my go to, but just make sure it has the locations you are looking for.
I haven't looked too deep yet but the first 5 or so VPN's I looked at did not have nearly enough locations. PrivateInternet has 14 US locations

For now adding "&near=dallas" after your keyword in the url of a google search seems to do what I need it to.

For example, search for "karate gym" and you get:
https://www.google.com/search?ei=xichXNG3HPXz9AP9xriQBQ&q=karate+gym&oq=karate+gym&gs_l=psy-ab.3.......

Paste in &near="cityname" after the keyword
https://www.google.com/search?ei=xichXNG3HPXz9AP9xriQBQ&q=karate+gym&near=dallas

I have a simple question about marketing onReddit. I have created a subreddit in my niche and I am slowly growing it. I have a wiki and a recommended resources page, and I am going to monetize this as well as link useful resources and my content.

Q1: Can I link to a product with an affiliate link directly on Reddit, in a wiki or recommended resource page? e.g. in a blogging subreddit have recommended web hosting with an affiliate link?

How accurate do you all think these "top pages" reports are? These broad pages that allegedly rank for hundreds of keywords and bring in hundreds-of-thousands of visitors. Has anyone had any success replicating that style of page?

Are Patch articles with 1 link good for your site?

I see the site's got great ranking but wondering how a press release on it would actually fair.

Yes. I thought most people knew about Patch. Sorry

Back