Newbie Amazon Affiliate Questions

Degree
Newb Amazon questions

So, I'm not new to AM but have been in one niche only for the last 10+ years. I want to try something new namely Amazon sites. I have picked a niche which I think will work but I am having a hard time working out the specifics of the actual Amazon side, so her are my dumb questions

1. It looks like I need to apply for different accounts for sales in different countries? My niche would work well in both the UK and US. Does this mean I need 2 accounts and different content with links for different product referrals? Seems a bit dated. Surely loads of sites receive traffic from different countries, how do they monetise this?
2. It appears I need a fully functional site with traffic before I apply and that I must complete 3 sales before my account is approved? Would one normally build out the site, build traffic to a decent level then apply? What the norm?
3. Am I allowed to run other ads on the site alongside Amazon (private deals, adsense etc). Is this recommended?
4. Not sure if this is allowed but if anyone can post examples of Amazon sites which are done well, profitable or a good example of answers to any of the above, some inspiration would be helpful.

Thanks

@butcher

1 - Yep, different accounts for each site unless it's changed recently. I have US, CA, and UK. AAWP is pretty popular, and has geotargeting. GeniusLink is another example.
2 - It's been a very long time since I was approved, I don't recall how it works for your first site. For subsequent ones, I just pop the Amazon links in whenever. For the first one, I'd want to have a more fleshed-out site, I think.
3 - Yes and yes, I've found that Amazon + something else always earns me more than just Amazon (YMMV).
4 - TheWireCutter is always the go-to example, I think there was a thread here somewhere about showcasing quality examples of affiliate sites but I can't track it down atm. There's the very standard paint-by-numbers list style product roundups that people do, just search for any type of product imaginable that's sold on Amazon and you'll see plenty of examples of those.

Last edited:
@butcher to answer your number 4 question, here are 4 good examples, just because it is question 4 :confused:

thewirecutter.com
babygearlab.com
gearpatrol.com
thesweethome.com

Don't want to block your momentum, just some food for thought.
Amazon recently slashed their affiliate commissions. While Amazon is easy to start, keep an eye open for alternative income sources in your niche. I.e. many manufacturers have their own affiliate program with much better commissions. Just apply and give your readers the choice where they want to buy. Not much extra work.

Back