New Standing Desk Homie, Checking In!

animalstyle

BuSo Pro
Degree
Pulled the trigger last week on a new setup! Jarvis Desk with the Capisco chair. Feeling good on day 2.

Standing desk bros... what do I have to look forward to in the future??

qmHSZzC.jpg

I had a look at standing desks a while ago, mainly for health reasons as you would think standing would be better for your body than sitting. After doing a bit of research it turns out there’s no benefit so I didn’t bother.

Isn't the benefit supposed to come from rotating between sitting and standing, versus doing one of them exclusively?

That chair looks cool. Can you "sit" in it while standing by leaning into it, or is it your standard chair situation and your legs will just dangle if you sit in it while it's up high like that?

Isn't the benefit supposed to come from rotating between sitting and standing, versus doing one of them exclusively?

That chair looks cool. Can you "sit" in it while standing by leaning into it, or is it your standard chair situation and your legs will just dangle if you sit in it while it's up high like that?

Not sure on the science, but that’s why I made the move - starting yoga I realized how important just moving the body is. The worst you can do is bind up, breathe shallow and stay rigid which is where I was sitting all day.

I was having shoulder pain from leaning into the arm rest on my keyboard side all day. My theory is removing so much support should allow me to build better posture habits.

The video of the chair is really what sold me on the whole thing: https://www.fully.com/hag-capisco-chair.html

You can sit/stand hybrid with it, yes. Either forwards kind of like riding a horse or even sitting on the edge of a stool, or backwards leaning into the backrest. If I had one word to describe the positions available, it’s just “no rules”

That's a good point, I was looking at it from the angle of 'standing all day' versus 'sitting all day'. I suppose if you mix up your positions throughout the day there would more benefit than just staying in the same position.

Not sure on the science, but that’s why I made the move - starting yoga I realized how important just moving the body is. The worst you can do is bind up, breathe shallow and stay rigid which is where I was sitting all day.

I was having shoulder pain from leaning into the arm rest on my keyboard side all day. My theory is removing so much support should allow me to build better posture habits.
I get a lot of pains when I sit for long periods of time, mostly in my back and arms. Whenever I try to work standing up my feet get sore after about 10 minutes, so I'm back to sitting again. Do you think your feet eventually get used to you standing all the time?

I am sure that your feet would get used to it. I know from my days working in a warehouse that things like anti-fatigue mats are important. In this case I think I'll still primarily sit with the option to stand.

Def get a mat to stand on, helps a lot. Overall I love my standing desk, but I don't use the standing part as often as I probably should. It is super handy to dial in to the exact height you want at any given time though which is worth it's weight in gold.

Def get a mat to stand on, helps a lot. Overall I love my standing desk, but I don't use the standing part as often as I probably should. It is super handy to dial in to the exact height you want at any given time though which is worth it's weight in gold.

I read this just before I got my desk and glad I did too - I got the control with memory. I set two settings, one for sitting one for standing so all I have to do is press the button and it shoots to my defined height

I had a standing desk at my old office. I loved it. Takes about a week for your feet and legs to get used to it. After that all good.

I have one of those desks that can go back and forth from standing and sitting. I have an injury on my hamstring that won't allow me to sit long, so I alternate back and forth between the two.

Took me a few days to get used to standing. Would recommend a mat or slippers if the sole of your feet get sore.

I have that same problem. Somehow I developed the habit of always leaning on the left armrest and because of that, I'll sometimes feel shoulder discomfort on that side.

A standing desk is on the top of my list of things to buy. Even if you can do 2 hours a day standing instead of sitting, you'll probably reap the health benefits from it.

They are supposed to be used in rotation.
Here is how I use mine...
When I'm on a call, I do several a day and spend several hours doing calls I'm standing at my desk, when I'm doing boring stuff I sit and then for everything else I rotate it as often as I can, but at least by building in standing time as a default when on calls it works well without any special reminders.

Been standing about half the day all week. No armrests on the chair has kept me more upright and not leaning into my left side and slowly melting into my chair.

I'm more tired than normal by the end of the day, but a good tired. No more left shoulder issues too.

Checking back in a couple weeks later, love the desk. Stand about half the day, sit about half. Keeps me more body-aware, helps with posture and has me feeling better overall.

Back