Need some hot tips on hosting (Over Sitegrounds SQL limit)

Degree
I am currently with Siteground and have been notified that one of the sites "has exceeded the maximum allowed size of 750MB per database" they have given the option of using a third party to optimise the database. In anyone, the experience is this worth it?

The next step up in plans is the 1000mbs which I feel we may quickly approach. Any suggestions for alternative hosting or other options would be welcome :smile:

Digital Ocean. It's unmanaged hosting. You'll need a sys admin (unless you know the command line) to get you set up but you'll be better off in the long run.

@britt, There are plenty of managed hosting packages out there that won't require you to to become a system administrator, that also don't have database size quotas. It'll just count against your disk quota.

I always recommend Knownhost. You can double check with them, but I'm at 99% certainty that this is the case with their VPS's and Dedicated servers.

DO + RunCloud.io is what I'm using and pretty happy so far

Thanks guys :smile: I don't have much experience with PHP, Does Run Cloud have a similar interface to cpanel at all?

@britt, There are plenty of managed hosting packages out there that won't require you to to become a system administrator, that also don't have database size quotas. It'll just count against your disk quota.

I always recommend Knownhost. You can double check with them, but I'm at 99% certainty that this is the case with their VPS's and Dedicated servers.

Hi Ryuzaki,

Would you still recommend Knownhost? or anyone else for managed hosting package

Run the db on a separate server, 5$/month.

Would you still recommend Knownhost? or anyone else for managed hosting package

I do still recommend and use Knownhost. I have actually migrated everything to them now and have 3 VPS packages now. Their new website redesign makes them look a lot less professional than they are, not sure what they were thinking. Support is very good, even when you catch them at weird times like 2 AM shift changes or whatever.

I'd just make sure you look at or ask about database sizes since you're talking about heading into gigabytes territory. I have some so big that I can't import them via PHPMyAdmin or whatever and have had to have them help me out using command line methods (rather than me figuring out the FTP method with MySQL). That's why I like their support. They're down for pretty much whatever.

is that managed hosting?

No, they're talking about stuff like Digital Ocean or places you can create "droplets" that are unmanaged. You have to administer it yourself, though there are some software packages you can install that'll set up everything for you. I've never done it myself.

you can check out fresh roasted hosting.
They have excellent hardware and customer service and also provide custom packages on request.

I would recommend cloudways. I used DO for a while but when things went wrong, all that was there for support was documentation and forums. Cloudways uses the same vps providers but also provides a number of other things (one of them being support via live chat).

thanks mate! we are currently getting about 90k -100k users per month

@britt ServerPilot (.io) works for me. Combine this with Linode or Google’s Cloud Computing and you should be good to go.

I use Cloudways, it's been great so far. I'm surprised people dont recommend it so often - maybe it's something I'm missing. Costs me like 10 bucks a month per server.

I use Cloudways, it's been great so far. I'm surprised people dont recommend it so often - maybe it's something I'm missing. Costs me like 10 bucks a month per server.
Hi Olov,

We are currently getting around 80-90k sessions per month, do you think that $10 plan with DO would be sufficient?

Hi Olov,

We are currently getting around 80-90k sessions per month, do you think that $10 plan with DO would be sufficient?
Hi,

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic.

They have other offers too, not only the 10 bucks plan. You could try that plan, and then upgrade if needed. I am not able to answer if the 10 dollar plan is sufficient, probably not.

*EDIT* I see now that Yannis mentioned Cloudways as well.

Hi Olov,

I've had wordpress sites with that much traffic and the 10$ and even the 5$ plans were fine. The sites were well optimized for speed however and that helps them to run with less resources.

Back