Need ideas for subscription service

Walt Heisenberg Jr

Links Facilitator
Degree
I'm looking to build a subscription service for a physical product. Something like disposable razors, selling green tea on subscription every month and etc

If anybody has any ideas they'd like to share, that would be awesome.

Diapers - something that many people deal with for about 2 yr of a childs life. People can schedule how often and how many diapers need to be shipped to them and what size obviously. Never have to worry about running out of diapers if they show up at your doorstep every other monday!

Pre-packaged organic meals (the organic squeezable ones, seem to be very popular right now) for children too. Most of them are already sealed, same thing. You can send different types of food depending on what the parent chooses.

Just some ideas i had right off the top of my head. I'll think of more to come.

Be careful now, Amazon already does subscription to children diapers: Amazon Mom

You may not want to go up against a juggernaut unless you've got a competitive edge. But I will say this - baby's are not the only ones who wear diapers, so a service for people with incontinence might make sense. I was researching about 3 years back but at the time the #1 provider wasn't really "internet" ready, yet. They might be now, but there might also be other opportunities with smaller establishments.

I personally don't mind the competition. Where there's competition, there's money to be made.

Thanks for the Amazon subscribe and safe URL. Lots of great ideas I can gain from there.

Off the top of my head here are the ones I've seen already...

Snacks (naturebox), underwear (meundies), socks (cant remember), razors (DSC and harrys), "gamer" stuff (nerd box or whatever it's called), gentleman's grooming (can't remember the name) supplements (jacked box)... and lots more that I can't think of right now. There was even one that was a "MYSTERY BOX", where for $5 a month they'll send you an envelope with "???" inside of it.

It's a tough model. You might not mind the competition, but do you have a million dollars to get the word out? How deep into the red can you survive before learning the lifetime value of a customer and your cost of acquisition? A few months? A year? It's going to be a while until you see an ROI. I wouldn't get discouraged just because Amazon does it because a lot of people who sign up for this are looking for that "boutique" feel.

I'd be a little weary getting into it based on the biz model rather than based on having a great product in mind already... that seems a bit backwards to me but I wish you luck man, keep us updated!!

Off the top of my head here are the ones I've seen already...

Snacks (naturebox), underwear (meundies), socks (cant remember), razors (DSC and harrys), "gamer" stuff (nerd box or whatever it's called), gentleman's grooming (can't remember the name) supplements (jacked box)... and lots more that I can't think of right now. There was even one that was a "MYSTERY BOX", where for $5 a month they'll send you an envelope with "???" inside of it.

It's a tough model. You might not mind the competition, but do you have a million dollars to get the word out? How deep into the red can you survive before learning the lifetime value of a customer and your cost of acquisition? A few months? A year? It's going to be a while until you see an ROI. I wouldn't get discouraged just because Amazon does it because a lot of people who sign up for this are looking for that "boutique" feel.

I'd be a little weary getting into it based on the biz model rather than based on having a great product in mind already... that seems a bit backwards to me but I wish you luck man, keep us updated!!
Thanks for the ideas.

You're absolutely right, but there's no way to know unless I try. I may just end up buying a website that does this already and improve it.

I was reading this recently and thought you guys may be interested too: http://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneu...inner_workings_of_a_subscription_box_company/

I've been thinking about this since I saw that post on reddit, too. One of the big takeaways is that you do not have to reinvent the wheel.

Back