Need help monetizing my authority blog

Walt Heisenberg Jr

Links Facilitator
Degree
Hey guys,

I have an authority blog about cats that's now ranking well for some high traffic keywords related to... well, cats.

It's also bringing in a lot of traffic that I don't know what to do with.

Currently I'm monetizing it with Amazon, which is bringing in some decent income, as well as adsense (which seems to suck for this niche)

After managing my cat blog's Twitter, I've come to the realization that cat lovers are very dedicated yet strange people.

I need some ideas on how I can monetize this blog besides selling eBooks.

I wanted to create a paid forum but I have no idea how I can create value for its users.

It would be great if anybody could share their ideas.

are you collecting names on a list? until you can figure out what they want?

Have you tried offering paid ad spots on your blog? Like a fixed price per month to host an ad? You could also sell guest posts which can go for up to $300 a pop depending on your traffic and engagement.

EDIT: You could also try other affiliate offers, other than amazon. I don't know how many cat affiliates there are, lol but just make sure they are good quality, and decent commission. Try Pinterest too. Cat lovers are very visual. I think pinning cat stuff on pinterest might be able to get you alot of sales because Pinterest users in general have a higher buying intent.

Last edited:
Have you tried offering paid ad spots on your blog? Like a fixed price per month to host an ad? You could also sell guest posts which can go for up to $300 a pop depending on your traffic and engagement.

EDIT: You could also try other affiliate offers, other than amazon. I don't know how many cat affiliates there are, lol but just make sure they are good quality, and decent commission. Try Pinterest too. Cat lovers are very visual. I think pinning cat stuff on pinterest might be able to get you alot of sales because Pinterest users in general have a higher buying intent.

Selling ad spots seems like a good idea and so does finding affiliate cat offers.

But these affiliate offers usually have very bad landing pages.

I just thought of an idea. Maybe I could offer to buy their product and sell it myself. I could easily create a landing page that converts.

But these affiliate offers usually have very bad landing pages.

What kind of offers are they? Like physical products? eg. Food, Playhouses, grooming products etc ?

You could also try drop shipping, but you'll need to find someone reputable...Which is kinda hard.

OH! @Walt Heisenberg Jr I almost forgot. *Facepalm* read this: Monetization- Generating Revenue by @CCarter . I'm not sure if you're already a member of WF, but you'll have to create an account to read it. Enjoy
giphy.gif

Don't forget that landing pages that look bad can actually be that way for a reason - because that's what converts the best. If they're all looking lousy across the board, it might just mean that's what works with cat people? I think it's still worth testing and seeing if they can convert your traffic.

Or if you have a significant amount of traffic ask the AM for a custom landing page before asking to resell their products - much much easier.

But mostly just make sure their landing pages actually don't convert instead of assuming they don't because you never know.

Big FB pages tend to use t-shrits as a general offer for pet owners. You could create your own teespring with something really relevant to your audience and the exact type of "cat person" they are.

"WHO NEEDS A HUSBAND? I'VE GOT MY TABBY!"

My questions is, "How branded is this site?"

If it's super duper branded, I'd start testing your own line of products, likely just white labeled with your logo. That's if you can create a cult and community around your site.

Don't forget that landing pages that look bad can actually be that way for a reason - because that's what converts the best. If they're all looking lousy across the board, it might just mean that's what works with cat people? I think it's still worth testing and seeing if they can convert your traffic.

Or if you have a significant amount of traffic ask the AM for a custom landing page before asking to resell their products - much much easier.

But mostly just make sure their landing pages actually don't convert instead of assuming they don't because you never know.

Big FB pages tend to use t-shrits as a general offer for pet owners. You could create your own teespring with something really relevant to your audience and the exact type of "cat person" they are.

"WHO NEEDS A HUSBAND? I'VE GOT MY TABBY!"
U ever try the teespring thing, I just discovered and might give it a shot

Agree about the t shirt thing for sure. People love to show off their passions, ever see people wearing tops about code and stuff? Animal lovers are odd people, there was the whole "dog glasses" thing and people paying a lot for different animal clothes. I'd probably suggest looking into cat collars, cat costumes, cat beds things like that. Anything you can throw your brand on or a funny phrase.

Maybe look into vet affiliate programs? People pay crazy amounts for vets and also pet insurance, if you can send some traffic to a pet insurance company I think you'll make a lot. Got to think about things related to cats, put yourself in a pet owners shoes. Think about what they buy, there are so many products and services in that industry. Cat kennels (or whatever they are called), vets, insurance, clothes, beds, carry cages, scratch poles. I'm just rambling but for traffic think about watermarking a bunch of cat pics and throwing them round the internet. If there's one thing that anyone will post it's a fucking cat picture.

Back