Necessary Mac Software

I know this is an older thread, but rather than make something new I figured I would add to this list.

Anyways, as I am sure most people have seen, Google Material Cards are just about everywhere. I use material design on just about everything because I am part retarded when it comes to design. I came across this app/container/content organizer app that just came out and I have been using it for a few weeks.
Site - https://hyperrr.co/
Its a desktop/tv/mobile app for iOS devices as of now that basically makes it super simple to create little mini collections of things and share it to the web. I have been using these "cards" for a ton of things.

Such as creating a stack for the site I am working on and exporting all my social media accounts, profile pictures, listing url, and comments so I can leave notes for what needs to be done. It takes a little setting up but it really is cool so far. They are also embeddable, so you can create views and add them to wordpress sites, web apps or whatever. Also they are shareable, so you can create group stacks with polls and such to create user generated content.
Oh yeah they make pretty dope pumper sites too :wink:

Keep in mind this is still in early beta, so be gentle if you do use it.
http://community.hyperrr.co/

Got my first MacBook pro over the weekend and one app thats really useful is Magnet: https://itunes.apple.com/za/app/magnet/id441258766?mt=12

ZhWD2AF.png

Magnet is great.

Also iTerm is good.

Homebrew.

Docker.

Sequel Pro.

Postman.

Sitesucker.

Mutlilogin.

Alfred.

One of the big reasons I run OSX is the terminal. I've tried developing on Windows and it's a mess (might have changed, not sure). But on OSX it's so easy to rsync files, run ssh etc.

Better Snap Tool rocks. I'm using it like this:

J68lZaP.jpg

Where you drag a window into one of the bolded boxes with words in it and it snaps out to the matching color-coded region. You can design all of this is any way you want, down to the pixel. I have it color-coded on my screen like that too. It's an amazing piece of software for like $3 tops if I recall.

Another one I grabbed that I've been happy with is Be Focused Pro. The Pro version lets you sync between iPad, iPhone, and Mac plus gets rid of banner ads they have on it. For $5 it was worth doing that. You can export your data on the Pro version too. It's a nice Pomodoro Timer, basically, with a lot of enhancements so you can really track where your time is going and pull up graphs over time and check patterns for when you start to drag ass.

For iPad's and now even newer iPhones, the Procreate app will change your life:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/procreate/id425073498

It'll turn you into your own design hero. I haven't been this excited about an app in quite awhile. It makes it so easy to quickly sketch out designs, slap some color and life into them, and end up with some fairly professional looking creative.

97-ipad-pro-procreate-batman-hero.jpg

Does anyone here use SSHFS to mount network volumes? Any idea why it's so damn slow vs SFTP or SSH? Any way to speed it up?

I.e. tried to mount them manually, and also CludMounter, but it's way too slow to even transfer a few files.

I'd like to have my dev server mounted, where I have some docker setups, and be able to transfer files back and forth, and I like a more visual approach vs using ssh and vim.

XnConvert - This software bulk converts images from one format to another. I use it to convert all these .webp files to .png or .jpg. So far it's the only software that does this one task with a simple click. I drag the .webp file to the Dock icon and click the "Convert" button. Simple. There are versions for every major OS: Windows, Mac, Linux, and even Google Play.

Damn I really hate .webp. I hate Google so much for breaking the internet with all this crappy tech. They are almost as bad as Microsoft was at the turn of the century.

Damn I really hate .webp.

Open .WEBP files within Photoshop:

1. Visit Work with WebP files in Photoshop

1. Download the WebShop Plugin

2. Load int into a location specific to MacOs or Windows.

3. If on MacOS 10.15 you'll need to quarantine the plugin, instructions are there.

4. Open photoshop.

5. Exit hell.

With Photoshop 23.2, Photoshop has full support for the WebP file format! WebP files can now be opened, created, edited, and saved in Photoshop without the need for a plug-in or preference setting.

Mountain Duck. From the creators of CyberDuck, this app allows you to mount a remote drive (SFTP) right to your computer and work off of files remotely within your Apps. So imagine working on an HTML page and simply hitting save without needing to go to the FTP program and upload the files. Just reload the page and see the new changes.

Now what I suggest doing is getting some for versioning back your harddrive and other files and you are good to go.

Maccy. This takes the place of JumpCut, I believe created by the same developers. They allow for in-app cut and paste:

WLbAbl7.jpg

One of the annoying things about editing a filename is depending on the app you may not be able to copy and paste into the filename dialog. With this it fixes that problem.

Mountain Duck. From the creators of CyberDuck, this app allows you to mount a remote drive (SFTP) right to your computer and work off of files remotely within your Apps. So imagine working on an HTML page and simply hitting save without needing to go to the FTP program and upload the files. Just reload the page and see the new changes.
Alternative https://webdrive.com/download/

There's also ForkLift 3. It also has the ability to mount remote drivers but it works as a finder replacement so it's more customizable than using Mountain Duck on the finder. It also has dual panel.

Back