NDAs in the online world - enforceable?

Degree
How enforceable are NDAs really in the online world? Has someone had experience with this?

I imagine it would be difficult to enforce against someone if the person is:
  1. Sitting behind Whois protection
  2. Not based in the U.S.
  3. As an extra measure, you can always register a new company in your friend's name and pretend you have nothing to do with it
  4. Not to mention an offshore holding company like BVI
They would essentially have to prove that you're running the website in order to be able to sue you, right? It just seems like a long shot to do this with online assets, but maybe I'm underestimating the power of the law.

Just curious about how an investigation like this would play out.

If you aren't in the same countries it's going to be far less likely that it will be pursued. But NDA's are a big deal, whether online or offline. Is there even a difference anymore?

The last thing I'd want is to be caught breaking a non-disclosure agreement. That's pretty the end of your reputation. I've signed a ton of them and my pucker string squeezes a little bit each time. They expire eventually but each time you sign one you narrow down your own opportunities for a while.

I would say that before you sign an NDA, think about what it is and if it's something you intend on pursuing. If it is, don't sign it. If you sign it, don't pursue it. It's dishonest to do so, can hurt your ability to network, and can cost you dearly in the financial sense.

Yes they are.
The easiest way to track someone with legal measures is the payment system and icann.
And it's very difficult to not leave a digital trace online.
Tracking is easier than most think. It just comes down to how much it's worth.

Back